New to me Windflite

manofthefield

Hi I’m Mike I just picked up this 1975 Windflite 14 to get back into sailing and get my wife and son on the water a little. From a little research here a Windflite is a sister to the Sunfish, made by AMF, with the same hull mold, but a one piece top deck and cockpit. Same spars and almost the same rigging. The boat’s in decent shape but I have a list of things for refreshing. For some reason it keeps growing
85140573-8C2E-4FB9-AB33-4CAE24E2BF45.jpeg

"Thy sea lake is so great..."

Otherwise, it looks like offshore Navarre Beach, Florida! :)

Hi I’m Mike I just picked up this 1975 Windflite 14 to get back into sailing and get my wife and son on the water a little. From a little research here a Windflite is a sister to the Sunfish, made by AMF, with the same hull mold, but a one piece top deck and cockpit. Same spars and almost the same rigging. The boat’s in decent shape but I have a list of things for refreshing. For some reason it keeps growing
View attachment 38559
Add to that list, "wind". ;)

I like the sail colors too! Unfortunately the sail is on the list of things to upgrade, though maybe next year. While repairing a small tear with sail tape I pulled the sail tight and ripped another spot. I think the sun’s done some damage over the years.

I preferred to have light wind for the maiden voyage. The previous day was 2-3 foot waves and probably 15 mph haha.

Welcome, Mike. Looks like you got your Windflite right on the water, so at least you have a complete boat! What kind of refreshing is needed? Check out Intensitysails.com for a replacement sail. A new race cut sail with window is only $119.
I’ve got a nice daggerboard from a Windflite for sale but it looks like you’ve got that covered!

I replaced a couple lines, still need to replace the traveler line. I haven’t looked at it too closely, but it appears there are just holes through the gunwale for the traveler line to go through with stopper knots underneath. Seems like this may be one of the differences from a real sunfish. Or maybe this is just how someone rigged this boat at some point.

Next is adding an eye strap to the top of the centerboard for a bungee line.

Then I’m considering adding a main block too replace the hook. I would also like a hiking strap and it would be nice to have a modern tiller extension instead of a bolted “stick”.

Actual refreshment things would be fixing some dings and spider cracks. Also the previous owner took the wood grab rails and coaming off to refinish but we think he lost some wood backer blocks inside, so those need to be removed/replaced.

Nothing is urgent, she seems to sail just fine as is. Just things to pick away at if I have time.

This is my preferred mainsheet setup. For the Minifish, I had to install an inspection port (it's not in the picture, but just barely off to the left side of the pic, so I could reach inside to install the washers and nuts for the eyestrap.

On a Sunfish, it's simpler because the cockpit has the rolled edges that overhang into the cockpit so no inspection port required.

mainsheet-cleat-parts-list.png

Be careful with no wood grab bars. If you flip it’s going to be harder to get back in with nothing to hold on to.

The holes for the bridle/traveler were how that boat was designed.

The wood grab bars are installed, just may be missing backers. So I’m trying not to tug on those any harder than I need to.

Good to know that’s how the bridle is intended to be on the Windflite.

Nice boat. A lot fewer holes fo hardware in it than the Sunfish, no trim and fewer coaming holes. The rolled edge is easier to grab. A better setup overall in my book, but I imagine the One Design folks held significant sway at that time.

Here's the sail you need, on our Windflite FREEBIRD.

Kent and Freebird Windflite.jpg

Back