New (to me) Sunfish.

vtsailer

I bought a Pointer 14 (from J-Point Marine) last year, which is made from the original Phantom molds. To go along with that boat, I just picked up a 1982 Sunfish. The hull is in incredible shape. It was stored under a deck for several years. The person I bought it from got it with his house. The hull weight seems to be fine. There is no sound of water within the hull. The sail needs to be replaced, and I will also want to get a new halyard and mainsheet. I plan on getting the $135 sail from intensitysails.com.

I paid $650, which I thought was a fair price.

The Sunfish is definitely smaller than the Phantom. I notice it most in the stern.
Sunfish.jpg

Pardon the low light and the dirt (that's what I get for having the hull under a tree in a rainstorm), but can anyone me if I can replace this drain plug with something that does not involve any additional drilling? Is there a part that I can screw in that fits without any modification? I'd love to have something that does not require a screwdriver.

Attachments

• photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 38
It's the modifications that I am scared about. I'll look into it. Hopefully it's not a big deal. Thanks for the info!

Nice boat vtsailor. As far as the drain plug is concerned I would leave it alone and would install 5 inch inspection ports in the front of the cockpit, my personal preference for port placement, or on the deck as inspection ports are the only way to really know what is happening inside your hull as far as water, foam floatation blocks and keeping the hull light by airing it out. They are also useful for accessing the inside of the hull for attaching hardware for hiking strap and they give you extra storage.
><> Minas man <><

There are lots of great posts on the subject of installing inspection ports on this forum so do a search and do not forget the " Sunfish FAQ ".

><> Minas man <><

I replaced the old metal drainplug with a new plastic one. A half-round file is all you need to make the hole large enough for the replacement. Takes about ten minutes, less if you already have the tools out for the inspection port.

Back