New to me Sunfish, need mainsheet, centerboard bungee, how to fix the center board

shorefun

So I bought a 1988 Sunfish with an AIW prefix on the HIN. It was a tough decision, I know enough about boats (which is not much) to know the hull was in good shape and it came with a cart so for $50 I took a chance. I have not weighed it but it feels much closer to 130lbs. My son's are signed up with a local yacht club for a sailing program so this helps. Now I know I will get all sorts of help from the locals, but I have learned to get all sorts of opinions and go from there.

The gooseneck had a quick release thing made from a bolt with a slot cut in it. I was wondering if a seat post quick release would work instead of the $22 one online.

I have the bailer out and it needs a new o-ring. Do people buy them at hardware stores or just online.

I need new lines. Well it only came with a halyard and I figure it best to just get new lines. Do you just go local to west marine or is it best to get a set online?

What about the dagger board bungee? The factory thing is 2 brummel hooks and a bungee that goes around the the handle in the front. I see all sorts of different types. What is preferred?

My dagger board is the white kind with the larger hand hole in it. It has a crack about 8" down that goes about 3" into the back side. It is also missing about 2-3" off the bottom. There are many stiff wires exposed. I was thinking of making some sort of form and getting some epoxy and filler beads and being creative. Any thoughts as I have not played with boat epoxys. I have done car restorations and come to think of it I have a boat grade bondo.

I know I stole the boat. The person just wanted it gone. It is in really good condition and I could have sailed it the next day if I had lines.
Any thought would be great. Maybe later I will get some pictures up.

Thanks.

A seat post quick release will be just fine for the gooseneck - it just gives you more flexibility to adjust the location.

I think people randomly have the o-rings for sale here - might check the "for sale" section or post in the "wanted" section what you need.

For new lines, Shoreline Sailboats is selling a line package for $29
My daggerboard bungee is exactly as you've described, works fine.

This site goes into good detail on the daggerboard repair: Centerboard and Rudder Repairs

And $50 is a STEAL. :)

Does Shoreline have an online store? I tried finding a way to order the recreational line package but all I found was the Instagram post.

Does Shoreline have an online store? I tried finding a way to order the recreational line package but all I found was the Instagram post.
They have a website... but not sure how up-to-date it would be, I know they just posted the rec line package on Twitter and Instagram a couple days ago. I'd just give Kyle a call to order it.
Call or text:
Darren Leonard and Kyle Leonard – 585-754-5315 for new boat/equipment purchases, event/news postings, or general repair questions.

If you can’t find the oring, don’t worry. You can just run a heavy bead of silicone around the perimeter of the outside piece of the bailer, put in place, and tighten the nut from the inside.

I found the o-ring at the local ACE hardware. I have attached the pictures of the center board. I need to research more but I have Evercoat Formula 27 water resistant filler that I thought should work. I would glass bead the metal and then make a mold of sorts and fill it up.

Attachments

• AD7BF6DB-52C1-4252-9BE0-01FB106B6E13.jpeg
    AD7BF6DB-52C1-4252-9BE0-01FB106B6E13.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • C1745BC8-6DAE-4F9A-9615-44064473CCB9.jpeg
    C1745BC8-6DAE-4F9A-9615-44064473CCB9.jpeg
    746.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 5A58AFF3-52BB-48FC-A5EC-7B4C34BE75F0.jpeg
    5A58AFF3-52BB-48FC-A5EC-7B4C34BE75F0.jpeg
    716.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 7C43C6C0-2818-4FBE-B758-36CD167818E4.jpeg
    7C43C6C0-2818-4FBE-B758-36CD167818E4.jpeg
    787.6 KB · Views: 50
Here is something someone shared with me.
The Laser board shown and your Sunfosh board were made with the same foam.

Reactions: tag
I used to do those repairs like the video. Now I just use short strand reinforced fiberglass that is pre-mixed. It's much easier to work with than it sounds. I like the Bondo brand, but it's NOT the body filler. It's a proper structural fiberglass. It shapes easily after 40 minutes with 60 grit on a rubber sanding block.
this one.

I also forgot to mention the Bondo short strand reinforced fiberglass is thick enough to use on the matching crack at the bottom rear of the dagger board slot in your hull, even if you grind through a hair at the back where it's thin.

I forgot about the short filler. I was thinking of using the waterproof with some fiberglass I have already. I am going to make a rough form first to get the shape. I glued the crack in the back side with a very thin fast set adhesive I had already.

MarineTex works well for filling in rather large areas on those foam boards, but the material referenced earlier by Eddie may be just as good, if not better. Perhaps less expensive?

Make sure the boat is not waterlogged if it is made of wood!My 1st Sunfish was waterlogged and weighed over 200# and was unsailable (not unsellable) thanks to a "nice older man" and daughter who conveniently had it roped tightly to the new trailer that came with their new Sunfish.Therefore they could advertise boat with brand new trailer in our local newspaper.My 1st time sailing(on L Michigan) I could not come about, despite many attempts,so instead of finding myself further out in the Lake,I had to jibe, whereupon the boat immediately capsized losing some of the gear.I barely could get that overweight monster back to shore but pulled it a bit up the beach,where it met a sandy burial.It had taken this newbie and 2 other adult men to get it down the 129 steps to the beach! There was no way these 3 men were going to get it back up those 129 steps! I can laugh about it now,but at the time it was no laughing matter when I discovered that a Sunfish should weigh about 130#! I then bought a new one and have sailed it with great joy for 14 yrs.So the moral of the story is.....you only paid $50 rather than $300 for your boat and swindlers come in all types of packages.I wish that this was just a good story,but it is true. Happy sailing,everyone!

I am aware of the various issues with a sunfish. It is light, right and very good shape. It needs a good oxide removal and some new lines. I would have paid $500 for this boat without hesitation and I can be conservative with my spending.

I got in touch with Shoreline Sailboats.

A little non conventional since they do not have a web store but great to deal with and I should have the parts in a couple of days.

Back