New to me Porpoise II (Sunfish clone)

72porpoise2

Greetings from Washington state! I'm a new owner of a well taken care of 12' 1973 porpoise II. From what I can tell these boats are very similar to the sunfish but with a couple of differences like the lead weight in the rudder, self-bailing cockpit, and a larger sail. I have some questions on rigging. Where should the gooseneck be at in relation to the mast? the boom? where should I tie off the halyard at? I've read other threads that probably answer these questions but I'm new to sailing and quickly got confused.

I would start by reading the variety of Sunfish rigging guides that are out there - your rigging should be similar.
I compiled several of there on my blog here: sunfish rigging guide(s)

that, and watch this video that is a great visual summary as well:

other familiar with the Porpoise II can chime in with any specific differences.

I have a Super Porpoise, which I think pre-dates your boat. It's rigged the same as a Sunfish, except for the mainsheet attaching the the rudder and not a bridle. Also mine doesn't have a block or locking cam for the mainsheet(this years project).
As to where to tie the halyard and placement of the gooseneck, do a google search and you'll find pictures , then you can figure it out to start, and fine tune after you sail it a few times.
And don't be surprised if some of the Sunfish sailors at you local lake introduce themselves by coming up to you and asking "What kind of boat is THAT?"

Reactions: tag
awesome thank you. From what I've read so far it sounds like the gooseneck should clamp securely around the boom? mine just loosely slides around even with the bolt tightened down.

The goosenecks bend over time. Tape on the boom helps. You can also file the space a little to open the gap so when you tighten it will. The gooseneck is important to be able to move it depending on the wind strength. Adding an adjustable gooseneck down the road is an easy modification.

Greetings from Washington state! I'm a new owner of a well taken care of 12' 1973 porpoise II. From what I can tell these boats are very similar to the sunfish but with a couple of differences like the lead weight in the rudder, self-bailing cockpit, and a larger sail. I have some questions on rigging. Where should the gooseneck be at in relation to the mast? the boom? where should I tie off the halyard at? I've read other threads that probably answer these questions but I'm new to sailing and quickly got confused.
You can also swap the ends of the spars—a nuisance, as all the hardware has to be repositioned. :oops:

Porpoise "clones" are probably the most-discussed clones on this Sunfish site. Be aware your bow handle is likely bolted on. :confused:

Being narrower, the Porpoise II might have an edge on downwind legs.

I chimed in frequently—owning what must have been a 1975 Porpoise II, which had the Sunfish rudder gudgeon and rudder:
GEDC0200-001.JPG

Last edited:

Back