New (to me) Fish

CodyPereira

Hey everyone,

I wanted to take a moment to say hello and also a thank you to all the accessible knowledge available on this site. I finally picked up my own fish (1981 Alcort Sunfish), after wanting one for years after sailing them every day during Boy Scout Summer Camp as a kid.

I look forward to learning from all of you, and hopefully providing some knowledge of my own as it becomes available.

Hopefully I did this right, below is a pic of my fish.
20170721_191816.jpg

Happy sailing,

Cody

Hey everyone,

I wanted to take a moment to say hello and also a thank you to all the accessible knowledge available on this site. I finally picked up my own fish (1981 Alcort Sunfish), after wanting one for years after sailing them every day during Boy Scout Summer Camp as a kid.

I look forward to learning from all of you, and hopefully providing some knowledge of my own as it becomes available.

Hopefully I did this right, below is a pic of my fish.
View attachment 23887

Happy sailing,

Cody
Great looking boat there, I like that boat color, in fact I use to have one like that. The sail looks very nice, I like the green and white. Happy Sailing, glad you joined us on the forum.

I don't know the significance of that sail number, but someone here will know.

Sailing solo, your sail can be lowered for stability. Discard the present hitch for this simpler bowline hitch, which is simply a bowline whilst passing-through several times with the bitter end.

This will enable you to relocate the boom height with a simple sliding action of one hand. Grip isn't a problem, as mine hasn't moved!

P8300015.JPG

Great looking boat there, I like that boat color, in fact I use to have one like that. The sail looks very nice, I like the green and white. Happy Sailing, glad you joined us on the forum.

Thank you! I am really looking forward to getting it out on the water... drying her out a bit at the moment.

I don't know the significance of that sail number, but someone here will know.

Sailing solo, your sail can be lowered for stability. Discard the present hitch for this simpler bowline hitch, which is simply a bowline whilst passing-through several times with the bitter end.

This will enable you to relocate the boom height with a simple sliding action of one hand. Grip isn't a problem, as mine hasn't moved!

View attachment 23888

I was curious about the sail number. From what the previous owner told me, he used to sail the boat on Candlewood Lake in Connecticut in a sailing group, so it may have some significance to that. Many thanks for the advice on the new hitch, I am looking to replace the existing lines as they are quite sun-beaten anyway, but will certainly put in place the new bowline.

Replacing the lines is very important, I have had lines get caught in the pulleys and not be able to slide across them properly because of fraying. Glad to hear you are taking care of that. The halyard line doesn't matter as much in my opinion. Sailcrafti is a good seller for main sheets and halyards on the forum, good prices and fast shipping.

Replacing the lines is very important, I have had lines get caught in the pulleys and not be able to slide across them properly because of fraying. Glad to hear you are taking care of that. The halyard line doesn't matter as much in my opinion. Sailcrafti is a good seller for main sheets and halyards on the forum, good prices and fast shipping.

I will have to check them out, they surprisingly haven't come up in my searches yet. Like tires or brakes on a car, I figured that making sure I can control my vessel with my lines is equally as important!

Welcome
I'm just up the road, if you need help feel free to ask

Thank you John, I appreciate the help... I am sure I will have some questions. Having help close by is always great.

Sailcraftri is a member on the forum who has sails and other parts available for sale, if you private message him or place a wanted ad in the sunfish area I am sure he would be glad to get you the right parts for your boat

Sail numbers are assigned by the sunfish class office. That is one from back in the 60s. You keep your number when you buy a new boat, which is why the boat is newer than the number!!

Sail numbers are assigned by the sunfish class office. That is one from back in the 60s. You keep your number when you buy a new boat, which is why the boat is newer than the number!!

Ok that is REALLY cool. The man I bought this boat from inherited it from an older gentleman that had it before him, from what he believes since brand new. Very cool that the number dates back from the 60's. It does make sense too though... The fish came with 2 sets of masts and spars. The set that is paired with the green and white sail shown in my photo has a mast sporting a block pulley off the top of the mast, and from what my research points to, is not the original mast that would have came with my '81. In fact, the other mast set I have (with the Mai Tai style sail that is quite tattered) is paired with a mast and spars that are of the '81 time period. This mast has the top mast cap designed to have the halyard ran through.

Thank you very much for the information Beldar Boathead. (awesome name and avatar by the way.)

Back