New to me Catalina 14.2: See pic spreader travel movement seems off

DeereJ18

td8cp7k4nld41.jpg

I am worried that the spreaders (or spreader bracket) will get bent when the mast is down like this and I am rigging the boat... This is the maximum travel the spreaders have. Are the spreaders supposed to have more travel? They can not go any more up than you see here in the picture. When the mast is raised the spreaders do go back as intended, it is just when I am rigging it I feel like the spreaders should have more travel forward.

I have the same issue. Spreaders are as they should be on a fractional rig with no backstay. My bigger concern is the stress put on the spreaders and the shrouds while it is sitting like that. Currently, I have someone stand behind the boat and support the mast while I set the pin at the foot, then I stand the mast while they walk around and attach the forestay. I thought a support with pintles to attach it to the stern and a saddle for the mast to rest in while I get things situated would be nice.

Glad to know its not just me with the "issue". Thanks. Maybe Ill modify the bracket somehow to allow more travel and post my modification on this forum.

Simple solution! Build yourself a crutch out of 2x4's that will suspend the mast high enough to avoid the spreader issue. Base plate sits on floor, bevelled to meet the seat risers at the optimum setting. I recall being about a foot or so ahead of the stern. Then secure your 2 verticals crossed braced with a few transverses for strength. I think I had a total of about 3 of them. The top one is where you can let the mast rest. With the base of mast secured to the bracket it becomes much easier to step/lower, also eliminates the spreader issue. Also makes for better trailering, mast sits higher and not resting on the transom. Now standby, I'm sending this out and then going to see if I can figure out how to do the photo attachment............

The suggestion regarding making a mast support which attaches to the stern using a set of pintles is "spot on". I used a 2 X 6 for the main support member and constructed a cap wide enough for the mast to rest on, along with side plates on the cap to keep the mast from moving sideways. My trailer has a mast support on the tongue so I made the stern support member to hold the mast high enough to keep the spreaders from touching the deck when trailering. When rigging the mast for sailing I just slide the mast along the stern support until I can bolt the foot into the tabernacle. I simply ordered a set of pintles from a marine supplier (maybe West Marine) which were the same size as the pintles on the rudder. Hope this helps, it works well for me and is easy to set up and then remove. I did end up angling the top of the support (fore to aft) to support the mast fully along its length. The 6 (actually about 5.5 inches or so) dimension gives a little more support and allows for tying the support so it doesn't wobble when in transit.
Because I cover the boat for the winter and wanted to leave the spreaders attached, I also used two pieces of pvc pipe (about 1inch or so pipe), with a hinge connecting them, to lay over the mast and rest on the edge of the deck just above the spreaders. Keeps the tarp from exerting pressure on the spreaders and the spreader brackets.
Sorry, no pix available.
Good sailing.....

I sold mine two years ago but there is so much pressure on the spreaders while under sail that I didn't see it as a problem. The easiest thing would be to cut a thick pool noodle open and set it on the transom so the mast rests on the pool noodle and keeps the spreaders off the deck.

Just place a length of anything (PVC pipe, lumber, etc) across the rails so the mast sits on that instead of the transom.
I do that any time I lower/raise the mast.

I've also used a wooden sawhorse, standing it on the seats, to hold the mast up extra high.

The spreader may still touch the boat, but the weight will be taken off of them.

Just place a length of anything (PVC pipe, lumber, etc) across the rails so the mast sits on that instead of the transom.
I do that any time I lower/raise the mast.

I've also used a wooden sawhorse, standing it on the seats, to hold the mast up extra high.

The spreader may still touch the boat, but the weight will be taken off of them.
Will do. Thx winston!

Back