New to me Capri 14.2

Mashmaster

I just bought a 1985 Capri 14.2. It is missing hiking straps and a bungee for the centerboard. So I ordered those online.

The sails are original, so I should probably look into replacing those. I do like the colors of the current ones though.

The jib is a roller furler, which I don't know how to set up, is there a video for that somewhere?

IMG_20210625_211233.jpgPXL_20210627_175005827.MP.jpg

I wouldn't be so hasty to swap out sails, UNLESS those are showing clear signs of damage or dry rot. Sails which are stored correctly can last a long time and still be serviceable. When I say "stored correctly" I mean indoors, in a dry place free of bugs or rodents. No chemicals or direct sunlight. As former Sail Hut Attendant at SDNSC, Fiddler's Cove Marina, I was surprised at how long sails would last despite frequent use... but we had decent storage shelves in the Sail Hut, slatted wooden shelves which allowed for plenty of ventilation & air circulation, which is good to have around canvas and other sail materials. Looks like a cool little boat, makes me wonder what ya paid for it... that mainsail reminds me of Arizona, maybe Sedona or the Painted Desert, lol. Cheers! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be so hasty to swap out sails, UNLESS those are showing clear signs of damage or dry rot. Sails which are stored correctly can last a long time and still be serviceable. When I say "stored correctly" I mean indoors, in a dry place free of bugs or rodents. No chemicals or direct sunlight. As former Sail Hut Attendant at SDNSC, Fiddler's Cove Marina, I was surprised at how long sails would last despite frequent use... but we had decent storage shelves in the Sail Hut, slatted wooden shelves which allowed for plenty of ventilation & air circulation, which is good to have around canvas and other sail materials. Looks like a cool little boat, makes me wonder what ya paid for it... that mainsail reminds me of Arizona, maybe Sedona or the Painted Desert, lol. Cheers! :rolleyes:
Thanks, the sails look nice, there are definitely soft but now holes or tears.

I got the boat and trailer for $1500. I need to go through the process of titling the trailer and boat. That will be a pain as not all the paperwork was in clear order as the previous owner is now deceased and the family is selling it. They are reachable and willing to help me get the paperwork completed but I expect the state and county to want more paperwork.

Something I noticed that didn't make sense to me. Along the luff of the main every foot there is a keyring like attachment. Any idea why those would be there?

Not a bad price for boat & trailer... if your Sea Scouts are gonna use it, you should get good service out of it, though you might need a new set of sails before too long. As for dealing with the gubmint, well, lemme tell ya: when I bought my Minifish for $200 out in Kalifornia, there was zero paperwork, barring a scrawled bill of sale from the seller. After facing numerous bureaucratic hurdles, I finally went the "home-built" route... as Mark Twain would've said, it was a "stretcher" even though I could easily build a boat hull, lol. All I had to do was bring a handful of receipts for materials to the DMV, fill out a form declaring that I built the boat, and "Voila!" I received my title, registration and sticker, which is all I really wanted anyway (the sticker, I mean) to avoid hassles on the water. Funny thing was that the receipts I brought were Depot receipts for entirely different projects... made no difference, the DMV clerk took one glance at the short stack and never even inspected them closely, lol. :rolleyes:

If the family can't find the trailer title, maybe you can obtain some sort of 'salvage title' just to make sure you're legal on the road. Ya know, it's a shame that bureaucratic hassles make it so difficult at times for law-abiding citizens to obtain title to boats & trailers, but then ya have to consider that the laws were written and enacted with thieves and con artists in mind, lol. Same goes for autos & auto theft: the majority of the population pays for the transgressions of a few dirtbags, aye? Might say the same about auto insurance, though those insurance outfits are heller greedy too. Anyway, I hope ya figure it out, because it's always nice to have your ducks in a row when it comes to stickers, tags, registrations, titles, etc. I must say I DO admire ya for working with those kids, not everybody on this planet has the patience or the "mission" to do this.. moi, I did my best for my 20 nieces & nephews, and whatever friends they had who might have gone sailing with us, I know I took a few out over the years. ;)

As for those "keyrings" you described, all I can think is that they have something to do with reefing, but I see no reef points on your mainsail, so perhaps they're for some other purpose. I can't really even see the rings in that photo, maybe they're on the starboard side of the main? Some other Capri 14.2 owner will have to clue you in there, obviously the rings serve some purpose... while reef cringles & reef points are usually only found down toward the foot of the main, in one or two rows off the boom, maybe three rows on larger sails. Meh, that's a mystery somebody else will have to solve, for now I'm back to my chilled vino and what may be a change in the weather here in the high desert... I'm hoping for rain, as we need it badly, these drought conditions are taking a toll on plant life in my yard. A good torrential downpour would certainly help right about now. I might even go out and stand in the rain, as long as there are no thunderbolts crashing around my yard, lol. "YIKES!!!" :eek:

Last edited:
Yep your boat reminds me of what mine looked like when I paid $1200 for it 5 years ago. Also a 1896 Mod 1. I put about $1500 into various improvements plus a lot of elbow grease and now it's something special! Now in case anybody's looking for an orphan to try and make a deal on, see the attached. This boat's in the same marina I keep mine, namely Lake Opeka in Des Plaines, Il. I used to chat with the owner but haven't seen him around since early last season. The boat's never moved and could sure use some TLC. Willing to bet he's unable to use it anymore and would probably entertain an offer. And I could gain a fellow Capri skipper to race against!
If anybody's interested let me know, I would see about putting you in touch with the owner........

Attachments

• Orphan Capri !.PDF
    692.5 KB · Views: 108
Yep your boat reminds me of what mine looked like when I paid $1200 for it 5 years ago. Also a 1896 Mod 1. I put about $1500 into various improvements plus a lot of elbow grease and now it's something special! Now in case anybody's looking for an orphan to try and make a deal on, see the attached. This boat's in the same marina I keep mine, namely Lake Opeka in Des Plaines, Il. I used to chat with the owner but haven't seen him around since early last season. The boat's never moved and could sure use some TLC. Willing to bet he's unable to use it anymore and would probably entertain an offer. And I could gain a fellow Capri skipper to race against!
If anybody's interested let me know, I would see about putting you in touch with the owner........
What improvements did you do?

Check out all my posts starting from now and work your way back, there's a ton of pics and descriptions! Feel free to ask questions after you've reviewed it all

These are pictures of my transom. It looks like there was a motor mount at one point in time. Do you think it would support a swim ladder?PXL_20210628_213602329.jpgPXL_20210628_213556387.jpgPXL_20210628_213609886.jpgPXL_20210628_213616282.jpg

Any transom can be reinforced with aluminum straps, correctly mounted... many folks who slap eggbeaters on small craft don't realize that they're placing heavy stress on the transom, so cracks and further damage occur. With the proper transom reinforcement, an eggbeater with a reasonable amount of HP won't cause any problems. Swim ladder shouldn't be a problem, you can always reinforce that immediate area with marine ply as well. I did this with a friend's C-15, which is similar in size but different in design, however the structural principles remain the same. Just my $.02, I'm off to cause trouble elsewhere... :rolleyes:

Finally got Watermelon out on the water last night. Everything seems to work well.

I noticed as one of the kids stood on the seat there was a bit of flex, is that normal? It feels solid to my hand but should I be concerned? Since it is a mod 1, should I consider reinforcing under the seats?

I can't figure out how to use the fuller though, can someone help me understand how that works?
52E8D729-8274-4C55-93FD-86EE2F61F352.jpg2CB51A67-5A84-4CF0-9508-0E589BA8C26E.jpg

Back