New to me Capri 14.2

fkrabach

I just purchased(virtually stole) a 1996 #4551 and have some immediate concerns. I noticed the hull is collapsed quite a bit where it sits on the trailer bunks on both sides.
Has anyone experienced this and what did you do to resolve it?
So far my thoughts are:
1: Hang it from my garage rafters and turn the heat on for a while to see if it naturally corrects itself
2: Concerned with rotten wood stringers/supports
a: Remove the deck to inspect/replace any rotten stringers/supports
b: Flip it over and cut slots in the bottom to inspect/replace stringers/supports

I am very far from new to doing this type of work having restored a few older, bigger boats. Just new to this particular model and its structure and characterisitics.

Can I see some pics? I'd like to make sure I know what you mean when you say "collapsed". Sounds like its some strange kind of water dmg so far.

I do not have pics available right and am away from home for a while. Basically where the hull sits on the trailer bunks is caved in quite a bit. I suspect its most likely from heavy snow accumulation. I'm wondering if there are plywood supports under the deck/cockpit seats and hull that may be rotted as well.

This happened to me when I had a Vagabond 14. I noticed it about a year after owning it. Where it rested on the trailer bunks, it was slightly caved in and some long cracks in the gelcoat parallel to the bunks. I wondered if it was because I trailered it across the state a few times, down some bumpy roads along the way. It was stored outdoors on the trailer, no cover. But it rarely snowed at the location.

I'm wondering if there are plywood supports under the deck/cockpit seats and hull that may be rotted as well.

Check out this old thread for photos of what's under the deck and inside the fiberglass on your boat.

I wouldn't want to tackle a job like the OP of that thread did. :eek:

I just saw that thread. That's exactly what I was afraid of. I only paid $260 for it though so I have plenty of room to either fix it or buy another hull I guess. I figured the trailer was worth that so it was worth the risk.

Here are a couple pics of the starboard side. Port is same or worse.

Attachments

• 20200128_172242.jpg
    20200128_172242.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 66
  • 20200128_172252.jpg
    20200128_172252.jpg
    591.6 KB · Views: 63
Oh My God! :eek: That looks terrible!

In fact the whole bottom of the boat looks terrible! Why is it green like that??? :(

Did you sand it down to some strange, green layer underneath the white, or is that from the boat sitting in the water for too long??

I think I’d be looking for another hull at this point.

That's a lot more noticeable than what I described. On mine, you had to look at it from a certain angle and under ideal lighting before you'd even notice.

But like you said, that nice galvanized trailer alone is easily worth more than the package price paid. So just keep investigating your options and have fun with it! Worse case, sell off the good parts and hunt down the next bargain sailboat. It's cheaper than a lot of other hobbies I can think of :).

Back