New to me 1983 14.2--questions!

HKnox

Hello!

I just aquired a 14.2, 1983 version. Can anyone tell me what is the wood that is above the cockpit and on the tiller? It is quite weathered and we'd like to oil it, but would like to pick the right materials.

Also, is it possible to order a cockpit cover that is NOT wood? This one has had a hard life and looks like it needs to be replaced.

thanks!

Heather & Scott

The wood is Teak and I am still looking for the perfect Oil , I have tried various Teak and Tung oils over the years and the inexpensive ones seem to last as long as the more costly versions , I guess its just the nature of the beast .

Many have made replacement hatch covers , do a search on this forum and you should find a bunch , many with pictures .

Rob

C14.2 #1174

I've done a fair amount of woodworking over the years -- I recently sanded my tiller to bare teak and put several coats of Watco Teak Oil on it. This product has a drier added to the oil and a small amount of a varnish also. Just wipe it on liberally with a soft cloth (after use, either let the cloth air dry in the open before trashing, or put the cloth in an old paint can put on the lid tightly -- you can have a fire if the oil is left to the air on the cloth). Let the oil sink in for about 30 minutes, then wipe off the excess. Then for best results polish it by hand rubbing with your bare hands. The heat from you hands really works well to bring out the luster.

I've also used a homemade mixture of bees wax, turpentine, and linseed oil (this is like a very soft butter) -- I like this because it is less slippery (construction workers use this on hammers, chisel handles, and plane knobs). Use the teak oil first, then put a layer of the bees wax mixture on.

Finally, Watco makes another fine product called Danish Oil -- I'd use the "natural" for teak.

My 2 cents worth. The previous owner of my boat works for a manufacturer and he said they use transmission fluid on their teak. I use it because i always seem to have it around. It looks okay but loses its shine after a week or two.

The previous owner also started to make a plastic hatch cover but I bought it before he got very far. It took me only a few hours to make it work. The plastic is exactly the same as plastic cutting boards, so if you can find one that it big enough, it is cheap. The light gray color is an exact match with the non skid on much of the boat. I was able to drill, cut and sand this easier than most types of wood. I didn't use hinges as it fits nicely in the groove of the bottom teak trim, I just got a brass locking slide bolt at Lowes for the bottom. Behind the plastic, I put some rather thick weather strip to seal the hatch tight. This is a bad photo, actually a crop of a much larger low resolution one so I'll see if I can get a better one soon.

Attachments

• hatch.jpg
    hatch.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 62
Tranny fluid , thats interesting , We had a friend who used Cocoa butter suntan oil on the Teak swim step on his ski boat and it always looked (& smelled ) good.

Rob

Here is a better photo of the hatch. I wanted to show the latch. It took a while to find the right one. This one locks closed. You have to pull the knob out and then up to open.

Attachments

• Hatch.jpg.jpg
    Hatch.jpg.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 53
Hatch

AWESOME job on the hatch! I'll show my hubby. We saw the $120 one, but would like to try something less expensive first. I'll have to check the kitchen outlets for cutting boards.... go figure! So its all one thickness, rather than... the hatch door I have is 2 different thicknesses (causing my husband to try to justify/lobby for a new router...) Thanks for the pics!

Hatch

I tried some of the big stores in the NYC area but couldn't locate a large enough piece of material based from a cutting board. I remembered a marine plastics store in Norwalk CT that sold the material (its called Starboard), and they cut me a piece of 1/2" thick for about $12. See Select plastics ( http://www.selectplastics.com/). I later bought another piece of 1/4" Starboard from West marine for 2 X the price . My cuddy door opening wasn't exactly flat, so I had to heat the material with a heat gun and bend it slightly into the curve on the bottom edge of the door. It now fits flush against the gasket . Its not the same bright white as my newly painted cockpit, and as far as I can tell it only comes with a grainy finish, not smooth nor shiny.

cuddy cover

Catalina in Woodland Hills, CA sells a canvas version that attaches with snaps.
It has a zippered pocket.
I think it was about $50.

Back