new to lasers, mainsheet catching on transom

jackson_226

hi my name is jackson
i am completly new to sailing on my own and im only 14 i have sailed but with my dad the lasers at my club are olympic class and i went alright but as i went around into the wind on a tack the sheet rope would catch the rear corner of the boat and would make the boat tip over every time i went around if anyone has any tips on fixing this problem im open to suggestions as i have no idea
jackson

Re: new to lasers need help please

Hi Jackson,

Welcome to single handled sailing! I used to face a similar problem like yours. If your mainsheet is sheeted in enough during closed haul or closed reach point of sail, I believe there should be no problem getting to a new tack. Your mainsheet will get caught at the transom edge when you do a tack is when your sheet is hanging loosely, I believe. So, when you want to do a tack in this condition, what you need to do is to execute the tack, wait for the boom to come near to centre line and give a tug or a pull (down ward direction) on the mainsheet in the centre. It will lift the mainsheet away from the transom edge and next thing you know, you will be on the new tack.

Same thing can be applied during a gybe.

I hope the above helps. After you sail for a while, you may have your own method to overcome the problem.

cheers and have fun sailing
mee :)

yep lasers are an olympic class everywhere. It sounds like you hve your sail way to far out, what you need to do is sheet in (pull the sail in) until the block on the traveler and the block on the boom touch each other, you will be amazed how much higher you can point and when you tack dont let it out.

Back