New to Laser & New to the Country

AndyDove21

Hi - first post!

I've just bought a secondhand laser from a nice lady in Michigan - 2001 boat but never seen water. Sail still furled as it came from Vangaurd. Just sat in a nice dry barn ever since.

Anyway, I'm from out of town (actually I lived about 5minutes from Laser HQ in England - Long Buckby). Could anyone tell me whether I need to register my Laser in Michigan as a watercraft. Their website says all watercraft, except those under 16foot & propelled by oars, and also non-motorized rafts, surfboards, sailboards etc. Seems the Laser is close to all these designations.

Many thanks in advance,
Andy. PS Interested in knowing any other sailor in the Novi / Plymouth / Farmington Hills area!
www.dove21.com

AndyDove21 said:
Hi - first post!

Anyway, I'm from out of town (actually I lived about 5minutes from Laser HQ in England - Long Buckby). Could anyone tell me whether I need to register my Laser in Michigan as a watercraft. Their website says all watercraft, except those under 16foot & propelled by oars, and also non-motorized rafts, surfboards, sailboards etc. Seems the Laser is close to all these designations.

Many thanks in advance,
Andy.
www.dove21.com

Welcome to the US Laser scene. Since nobody has anwered your question as yet, let me try. I looked at the Michigan DMV web pages and concluded that you don't need to register your Laser since her length is 14 ft.

If you want to be REALLY sure, go to a club or sailing venue and look around to see which boats carry a registration.

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1585_15242-34638--,00.html

Re: New to Laser & New to Michigan

Wavedancer,

Thanks most kindly for getting back to me. As it happens, when there was no follow up to my post I got in touch with a local sailboat dealer (Avon Sailboats, here in Detroit). They tell me that yes, it does need to be registered, purchase tax paid, and horrid reg numbers stuck either side of the bow. Bit of a pain, but such is life.

Cheers,
Andy

sorry to hear that!!!!
I guess all states are different. Here in florida if you have a sailboat less than 16 feet and it has no motor.....you don't have to register it.....but check this out

I am about to buy my first Laser, and have been thinking about buying a trailer for it. I heard from a friend today, that miami beach does not allow trailers to be stored on a persons property!!! WHAT THE HELL? Makes you wonder why they allow cars in the driveway!!! I might have to consider the option of putting it on the trailer and paying a small fee to have it sit at a sailing club or marina.....

Good luck over here. If you are in the Master class, maybe we will be competitors at some point!

Ray

Not allowed trailers on the property? That does seem a little crazy, unless they're talking about the trailers you could live in. Currently I'm travelling around some of the states for work and am amazed that each is so differnt in terms of the law - some I can turn right on red, some not. Differnt speed limits and so on. Today I considered putting a perfectly road worthy trailer on my roof rack so I could get it home, since it does not have it's own plate yet (in the UK the trailer has no number of it's own - it just extends the car).

Oh well, I'm quite sure us Brits have some strange laws and rules compared to you guys!

Roll on the Masters - see you there!

/Andy

kd4jvg said:
Couldn't you keep the trailer in the garage?!?
Gregg/Atlanta

Actually, the Laser WOULD fit in the garage, but it is now officially a converted garage ( a digital projection sysem and an easy-chair thing), so...no hope of that....

sean is the new michigan district secretary. he is a really great guy and you should try to get to know him. I'm sure he will be glad to chat with you via email and he will add you to the email list. you can find his contact information at www.laser.org

tkjazzer said:
sean is the new michigan district secretary. he is a really great guy and you should try to get to know him. I'm sure he will be glad to chat with you via email and he will add you to the email list. you can find his contact information at www.laser.org

Is Sean a member here and what is his TLF name? I'm not sure how this post fits in with the thread and may move it if I can figure it out. It seems like it deserves its own announcement in the Class and Politics section. Anyway, congratulations, Sean Fidler of District 19!

From Merrily, the new D18 Sec

Merrily,
I believe the relation is that Sean is the District Sec where AndyDove21 lives and Andy should contact him for some more local info.

Bradley said:
Merrily,
I believe the relation is that Sean is the District Sec where AndyDove21 lives and Andy should contact him for some more local info.

But of course! I guess I'm totally loopy today! :rolleyes:

Merrily

Back