New to forum, new(old) boat

dave_p

Hello,
Picked this up from a friend last weekend, washed her up and re rigged her over the past couple days, Take her out Sunday.

Attachments

• IMG_5527.JPG
    IMG_5527.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5530.JPG
    IMG_5530.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5536.JPG
    IMG_5536.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5537.JPG
    IMG_5537.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 55
Nice looking boat - looks like a Topper, correct?

Correct. I was happy to see the manufacturer carries parts for all vintages, so we will see what she needs after our maiden voyage. She has a parks and rec sticker on it from 1983, but other than being old and dirty when brought home, she is very much in tact with all parts and rigging hardware.

Nice boat! Have you made that maiden voyage yet?

Yes, Took her out last Saturday. All I managed was capsizing practice. Good news is its an easy boat to right. I am ground zero new to sailing dinghies. The day I went out it was 10-15 mph winds with 17-18 gusts with offshore winds. I rigged and launched into the wind, that part went fine. After that Ijust kept getting blown over trying to get my bearings. Made a lot of beginner mistakes from forgetting stopper knots, too tight vang, never got to get the dagger board all the way down, getting tangled in my lines. It was a mess but fun. I'm going back out tonight, with some lessons learned.

The self bailer leaks, flex taped it up until the new one arrives. Also seems to take some water at the transom bracket.

Last night managed to actually sail her. She has some sort of leak at the transom bracket. But can be sailed without filling up too quick.

Attachments

• IMG_9340.JPG
    IMG_9340.JPG
    590.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9342.JPG
    IMG_9342.JPG
    623.8 KB · Views: 48
Good for you for getting back out there after your first experience. How do you know the leak is at the transom? Do you mean where you mount the rudder? (Gudgeon). Post a pic if you can see a crack or evidence of leaking there. The force exerted there will only worsen the issue if it’s not repaired, but it may be an easy fix.

Good for you for getting back out there after your first experience. How do you know the leak is at the transom? Do you mean where you mount the rudder? (Gudgeon). Post a pic if you can see a crack or evidence of leaking there. The force exerted there will only worsen the issue if it’s not repaired, but it may be an easy fix.

RE: Gudgeon, yes, its a bolt on metal bracket. I think the screw holes may need to be caulked. Ill get it apart later this week. Take some pics.

Back