New to Capri 14

Jetman

hello all-

I bought a used Capri 14, hull# 1947 last summer. This is the first sailboat I've owned. It is sea worthy and I had it out once last summer and loved the boat.

I want to do some upgrades this winter before getting it in the water including re-finishing the hull, and replacing some parts that are worn. So, can anyone point me to a source for parts for the boat?

Specifically, the coating on the forestry is frayed and rough and hoisting the jib is a bit of a chore. Is this a pre made part or just standard cable cut to length?

The seal at the bottom of the centerboard well is in bad shape. Some question as above.

I need to replace the tiller also, but I'm pretty handy in the shop and think I can fabricate this. Other than that a lot of cosmetic issues that I think re-finishing will take care of.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

hello all-

I bought a used Capri 14, hull# 1947 last summer. This is the first sailboat I've owned. It is sea worthy and I had it out once last summer and loved the boat.

I want to do some upgrades this winter before getting it in the water including re-finishing the hull, and replacing some parts that are worn. So, can anyone point me to a source for parts for the boat?

Specifically, the coating on the forestry is frayed and rough and hoisting the jib is a bit of a chore. Is this a pre made part or just standard cable cut to length?

The seal at the bottom of the centerboard well is in bad shape. Some question as above.

I need to replace the tiller also, but I'm pretty handy in the shop and think I can fabricate this. Other than that a lot of cosmetic issues that I think re-finishing will take care of.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Good start is Catalina Direct.com Great site to find all the parts needed. I'm currently preparing a huge order with them for the upgrades I have planned on my 1986 (ancient) version 1.........
If you want to chat with a live person:
1. Parts Desk 800-959-7245
2. Tech Support 916-843-1971

Good luck!!

Welcome Jetman.
You said you are handy, remove the worn forestay, stretch I straight on the floor and measure what it is from loop to loop. Should match the Catalina Direct. But I have a better suggestion, take a trip to West Marine and buy all the components and make it right there. They will help you and let you use their equipment. I went one size larger, just make sure the jib clip is not set up for the small wire. Get a piece of mahogany decking from the lumber yard and make the tiller.
Get the seal from CD.

Let's see if I can upload a pic of the page. Looks like stay is 15'-2 1/4" pin to pin

Attachments

• IMG_5347.PNG
    IMG_5347.PNG
    761.5 KB · Views: 64
Let's see if I can upload a pic of the page. Looks like stay is 15'-2 1/4" pin to pin
Thank Al W. Looks like the part runs around $40.00? Sounds like a time save to buy it there. My boat is the Omega 14 but I'm guessing the part is similar.

On the tiller, the previous owner had fashioned a one piece handle. I am thinking a true tiller with a pivot would be better. I didn't sail it in much wind, but my guess is the added rudder authority would be a plus with a true tiller set-up. Agree?

Good start is Catalina Direct.com Great site to find all the parts needed. I'm currently preparing a huge order with them for the upgrades I have planned on my 1986 (ancient) version 1.........
If you want to chat with a live person:
1. Parts Desk 800-959-7245
2. Tech Support 916-843-1971

Good luck!!
Thanks Aquaman. I will call them tomorrow. Snow melting in MN so I'm getting the itch to sail her.

My tiller is 42" long and mounted on or near the end is a 24" extension
I would like to find a piece of hardware that would hold the extension in place when not needed. And one other interesting thing I had to deal with on the shakedown cruise last fall was that the bolts connecting the stainless bracket to the black metal rudder sheath would not stay tight. That was a big problem, hopefully cured by a generous application of locktite. Otherwise will have to re-tap to a larger size........

I hold the extension in place with double sided Velcro. About 6" long, wrap it around and sticks to its self.

I hold the extension in place with double sided Velcro. About 6" long, wrap it around and sticks to its self.

10-4 on that, thanks. I'm also adding that "Tiller Clutch" product to assist me while I'm singlehanding........

Back