New Tiller Extension on Older Ash Tiller

Repete

Sunfish1909
Ok, I have a new tiller extension to mount to my existing ash tiller. I plan to cut a hardwood dowel and filled epoxy to fill the old bolt hole of the original wood tiller extension. I plan to straddle the bolt hole, sightly aft, with the new universal base of the new tiller extension. Thinking a few times before I start this, can I just cut the 44 in. ash tiller back just behind the older bolt hole and mount from there? Would this dimension (less and 44 in.) change any handling? The new tiller extension is about eight inches longer than the original wood tiller extension. Also I will need a flat mounting area on the top side of the tiller to get this mount to seat firmly. I will sand till I have this area flat.

The question in all of this is should I cut back the orignal tiller to remove the bolt hole area or fill this hole? Anyone else have any comments that has made this upgrade? Thank you.

After several off list replies, I need to clarify this new tiller extension is an aluminum one with the ABS mount and rubber universal joint. The mount is not shaped to "saddle" the tiller profile. This is why I think I will sand a flat area to seat the mount. Sanding just enough to remove the top radius profile of the tilller. I also may just run a fillet of filled epoxy on the two sides to support the eighth inch or less overhang each side. Thanks for the responses so far. It looks to be that filling the hole and keeping the original tiller length of 44" intact is the path to take.

Here is my two cents on the subject.
Tiller length is restricted to max of 48" from the center of the pivoting point of tiller extension to the center of the pivoting point of two rudder brackets. Because of that restriction I think it is the best to have the tiller length as close to the maximum limit as possible. I made a little bracket to hold everything together. It works great for me. Please look at the photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 48
Very creative bracket. I have used a 36" extension from off of eBay, great price. It has the traditional two screw top mount, ABS bracket, and retaining cap. It has made a huge difference in making manuvers. Thanks for the post and photos.

Back