New tiller extension on old tiller?

Kevin Pierce

I'm going to put a new tiller extension "receiver" on an old tiller, which previously had the bolt-on, swiveling wooden extension.

Obviously, I'll need to drill two small holes, one fore and one aft of the big swivel hole, for nut-and-bolting the receiver.

Any tips and tricks that I would otherwise miss?

Kevin

Yeah, cut off the old ends to relieve both of this pivit hole. Get a Holt/Allen part# HA 4098 tiller ext. swivel bracket. This modification produced the greatest results for the least amount of effort, of ANY S.F. modification I've ever done. (Well, the gimbel mounted beer holders were a close 2nd)!

Is there anyone out there that's taken my advise, that's willing to comment on the vast improvement this makes to the older style tiller & extention? I really don't understand why any one would want the newer style!

I used Al's suggestion last year and it improved the performance of the old tiller extension, compared to the original single bolt style. However, I would have to say that the new tiller extension design is superior. The holt allen swivels and spins, but the movement is awkward and one of my tiller extensions pulled out of the screws. I should mention that I use Sunfish in a rental opperation and the boats are used hard. You may not have that problem in personal use. I cut my tiller just beyond the bolt hole, sanded down the edges, varnished it and then drilled the 2 holes for the new tiller extension. Voila!

May I suggest the pilot holes you drilled were too large? or perhaps the screw went in parallel to the annual rings, and not at a right angle to them? I'm very rough with mine and I've never had a screww pull out!

Al

Back