New Tiller Extension Length

Smithnmin

I'm looking to add a universal extension to my '78 Sunfish tiller. Does anyone have a suggestion on the length? There are multiple lengths 30"- 48", some sites recommend 42" for Sunfish but that seems way too long to me...

Try a 48-inch tiller extension made from broomstick, and cut off pieces until you've found what fits you.

That 42 inch length is for racing. It’s too long for recreational sailing, especially if you have more than one person on board.

I wonder if anyone on here had a newer Sunfish (@norcalsail ?) and can tell you how long their factory extension is.

I have been getting 33". Seems to work well. Just got 2 more. They were scarce here in the US. Mine were delayed, literally in a container on a ship.

I tried the 33 inch Battlestick extension but it kept getting caught in the bridle (too long); so I got the 24 inch Battlestick.

I was hoping to buy one for my next outing but I think it would be wise to get some measurements and make a more educated estimate on the length that will work for me...

Alan, I'm curious. How did the Battlestick get caught in the bridle when it was 33" long? I have the 33" version and it worked really well.

I have been getting 33". Seems to work well. Just got 2 more. They were scarce here in the US. Mine were delayed, literally in a container on a ship.

I can understand the tiller being scarce right now but tiller extension are quite plentiful.

I tried the 33 inch Battlestick extension but it kept getting caught in the bridle (too long); so I got the 24 inch Battlestick.
Alan, I'm curious. How did the Battlestick get caught in the bridle when it was 33" long? I have the 33" version and it worked really well.
If that happens then you're pointing it the wrong way :rolleyes: The extension shouldn't really ever come close the bridle/traveller, regardless of length. Always swing it around the front when you change tacks - even if you otherwise prefer what we over here call the "barbecue" grip :D (Holding it aft of you and from above, that is.)

As already stated by others, the standard LP extension is 914 mm (36 in) long. If you feel you need something considerably shorter, check your technique. Not criticizing anybody but trying to help make sailing more enjoyable :)

_

If that happens then you're pointing it the wrong way :rolleyes: The extension shouldn't really ever come close the bridle/traveller, regardless of length. Always swing it around the front when you change tacks - even if you otherwise prefer what we over here call the "barbecue" grip :D (Holding it aft of you and from above, that is.)

As already stated by others, the standard LP extension is 914 mm (36 in) long. If you feel you need something considerably shorter, check your technique. Not criticizing anybody but trying to help make sailing more enjoyable :)

_
Thanks

I made myself a new one a few years ago and my criteria was to make it long enough so that I can use the end of it to flick my mainsheet off the corner of the transom if it gets stuck there when I tack.

My Battlestick is 37”. I cut mine down from a larger one off a different boat. I had no idea so just guessed on the length. My wife and daughter have 33” Battlesticks on their Sunfish. Everyone that sails my boat complains about the setup. I complain about the shorter extensions. Everyone is happy. LOL.

If you point it toward the back (aft), which I sometimes do, it will get caught.
One of my four remaining Sunfish has a very long composite tiller extension--which I like.. :)

I usually remember when attaching the rudder, and the extension gets "trapped" by the bridle! :confused:

Back