New Sunfish owner with boat needing repairs & ID the year

Wolo4

I have a yet to be determined year Sunfish. I believe it to be pre 1970 and the cockpit has separated from the deck. I have extensive experience with fiberglass repair (and work at a large adhesive company). My plan is to grind away the gel coat and butter it up with epoxy then lay multiple layers of glass cloth. Then I will apply new yellow gel coat to the entire cockpit. How do I ID the year? No plate on the deck behind the splash rail. No numbers on the transom. Bronze hardware holding rudder. No storage compartment.
I am very excited to get this thing on the lake and have some fun.
Thank you
11A2B7B9-11E5-4838-9876-6972205AAA0D.jpeg

From what I can see I think your boat is between 1965 (when front deck stripe was added as an option) and 1968. Halyard block would be another clue but what the heck is going on with the top of that mast?

You have a old boat that looks in good condition. I would not but the time, effort or cost in. Just sail it.

I think it’s a 69 or 70. I’m pretty sure that the bow stripes were introduced in 69 (or maybe 68). Also, looks like you need a bridle and bow handle.

Breezebender, I’ve seen a lot of brochures, and haven’t seen any mention of optional stripe. This shows red and blue stripes in 65 with an otherwise pure white boat http://www.sunfishklasse.nl/documenten/Sunfish Timeline.pdf and mentions an optional sail, but not an optional deck stripe. I am very interested in keeping my Sunfish knowledge up to date so would like to see any old brochures mentioning stripes. There is one from 69 I have seen mentioning stripes and I should see if it could be added to the timeline. OK, enough of my sidebar!

From what I can see I think your boat is between 1965 (when front deck stripe was added as an option) and 1968. Halyard block would be another clue but what the heck is going on with the top of that mast?

Looks like it is missing the cap on the mast and someone set up a Jens to accommodate…?

Wow you guys are sharp. The top of the mast is missing the plug. Being that it has an AMF Alcort sticker it must be a 69 or 70. I will be bonding the deck to the compartment

I think it’s a 69 or 70. I’m pretty sure that the bow stripes were introduced in 69 (or maybe 68). Also, looks like you need a bridle and bow handle.

Breezebender, I’ve seen a lot of brochures, and haven’t seen any mention of optional stripe. This shows red and blue stripes in 65 with an otherwise pure white boat http://www.sunfishklasse.nl/documenten/Sunfish Timeline.pdf and mentions an optional sail, but not an optional deck stripe. I am very interested in keeping my Sunfish knowledge up to date so would like to see any old brochures mentioning stripes. There is one from 69 I have seen mentioning stripes and I should see if it could be added to the timeline. OK, enough of my sidebar!
Hi Beldar,
You are right, the sail stripe is the option, but it would match the existing deck stripe, no?
That timeline link shows this for 1965:
• White sail with diagonal stripes at peak to match deck striping offered as an option.

Am I reading this wrong? Forward stripe had to be there in 65, if not earlier?

Hi Beldar,
You are right, the sail stripe is the option, but it would match the existing deck stripe, no?
That timeline link shows this for 1965:
• White sail with diagonal stripes at peak to match deck striping offered as an option.

Am I reading this wrong? Forward stripe had to be there in 65, if not earlier?
That doc shows an all white boat with red bow stripes, and an all white boat with blue bow stripes. It doesn’t mention boat stripes being an option for the other colors, including the white boats that have colored spray rails and cockpits. I think the old all white sail with the narrow red and blue stripes was the option for those nearly all-white boats with the red or blue stripes.

Beldar, the timeline might need to be update. I have an AMF 85 and I know for a fact that it has aluminum backing plates. The timeline says this didn't happen until 86 when Loveless took over.

If the deck is not connected to the cockpit, and you capsize, all that water is going right into the hull itself! That problem must be fixed.
I noticed this in my Sunfish purchase as well. It looks very similar to the OP.

It seems fairly leak free, but when I capsize, the hull fills up with tons of water. I did an air test and noticed a lot of air coming from all the gaps where the cockpit meets the hull.

Any advice on how to seal this ?

I noticed this in my Sunfish purchase as well. It looks very similar to the OP.

It seems fairly leak free, but when I capsize, the hull fills up with tons of water. I did an air test and noticed a lot of air coming from all the gaps where the cockpit meets the hull.

Any advice on how to seal this ?
A friend in the business recommends biaxial tape for maximum strength.

I have a yet to be determined year Sunfish. I believe it to be pre 1970 and the cockpit has separated from the deck. I have extensive experience with fiberglass repair (and work at a large adhesive company). My plan is to grind away the gel coat and butter it up with epoxy then lay multiple layers of glass cloth. Then I will apply new yellow gel coat to the entire cockpit. How do I ID the year? No plate on the deck behind the splash rail. No numbers on the transom. Bronze hardware holding rudder. No storage compartment.
I am very excited to get this thing on the lake and have some fun.
Thank you

Where in MI are you located?

This problem seems like the perfect use for 3M 5200 sealant. It is silicone-like but tenacious and virtually permanent. I’d clean the whole area, then wipe with acetone, then apply the 5200.

This is from 3M’s description: 3M™ Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 is a one-component, high-strength, moisture-curing, gap-filling polyurethane for permanent bonding of wood, gelcoat and fiberglass. It cures to form a firm, rubbery, waterproof seal on joints and boat hardware, above and below the waterline. This product has been trusted throughout the marine industry for over 50 years.

More here: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40066983/

Yes, but I’ve always found it to be a complete mess to work with. I’d agree with L&VW. I used biaxial tape (West System 727) with West System G/flex, a 2-part epoxy with a 45 min pot life and a much longer shelf life than 5200 (a week if you’re lucky, once opened!)

Attachments

• 2F875379-4F7C-46C9-AE3B-E967B73A8EEC.jpeg
    2F875379-4F7C-46C9-AE3B-E967B73A8EEC.jpeg
    943 KB · Views: 63
Update. I repaired the delamination of the cockpit to the deck. I work at an adhesive/chemical company so I have all the needed materials at my disposal. many parts have been ordered. Next to do is deep penetration epoxy coatings on the dagger board and the rudder. I hung the sailboat upside down so I could see inside the repair area. Layed up 3-4 layers of glass cloth to the cockpit and deck mating surface.

Attachments

• IMG_6713.jpg
    IMG_6713.jpg
    770.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6715.jpg
    IMG_6715.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_6716.jpg
    IMG_6716.jpg
    1,019.5 KB · Views: 59
Weston do we need MC numbers for this boat? I’m on a private lake and Higgins Lake
Private lake? - Probably could get away with not.
Higgins Lake - safer to get it, but not sure they actively would track you down if they aren't visible.

IIRC, Michigan registration for a Sunfish is like $9 for a 3-year sticker, so other than the annoyance of getting an appointment at the secretary of state, it's a pretty minor cost.

Because the Sunfish is less than 14 feet feet and has only sail power, Michigan does not require any registration. What I’m not sure about is if a sunfish had been registered in the past, do you need to renew reregistration going forward? I just bought a 75 mini fish that has Michigan registration numbers on the hull, but was last registered in 1981! Do I really need to reregister it? I’m going to call the Secretary of State and find out

Because the Sunfish is less than 14 feet feet and has only sail power, Michigan does not require any registration. What I’m not sure about is if a sunfish had been registered in the past, do you need to renew reregistration going forward? I just bought a 75 mini fish that has Michigan registration numbers on the hull, but was last registered in 1981! Do I really need to reregister it? I’m going to call the Secretary of State and find out
Weston, I’m pretty sure Sunfish type sailboats SHOULD be registered.
A while ago, but a good story: Title & Registration in MI?

And here: New to sailing - Sunfish as first boat to learn on? (and other questions...)

Weston, I’m pretty sure Sunfish type sailboats SHOULD be registered.
Ugh. Looks like you are right, tag. Here is what the latest MI SOS page says:

Watercraft exempt from registration are:
  • Those 16 feet or shorter, propelled by oars or paddles, and not used for rental or commercial purposes;
  • Nonmotorized canoes and kayaks not used for rental or commercial purposes, rafts, surfboards, sailboards, and swim floats, regardless of length; and
  • Watercraft registered in another state and used only temporarily in Michigan.
There clearly is some confusion about it, though. Labor Day 2020, I launched 2 of my Sunfish at the DNR boat launch on Orchard Lake. Because it was a holiday and lots of boat traffic, the Sherriff was onsite and on the lake. The Sherriff noticed that one of my boats was registered (the '71) and the other was not (the '77). He asked why I had gone to the trouble to register the '71 since it was not required. I told him it had been registered by a previous owner and I just continued doing so. Looking at the experience documented by forum members xerexes and repete, the law is being applied inconsistently.

I think their is confusion among Michigan legislators and law enforcement as to whether a Sunfish can be classified as a 'sailboard' or not.

In the end, you are right, the safest thing is to register. If nothing else, it might reduce the chance of theft.

Reactions: tag
Ugh. Looks like you are right, tag. Here is what the latest MI SOS page says:

Watercraft exempt from registration are:
  • Those 16 feet or shorter, propelled by oars or paddles, and not used for rental or commercial purposes;
  • Nonmotorized canoes and kayaks not used for rental or commercial purposes, rafts, surfboards, sailboards, and swim floats, regardless of length; and
  • Watercraft registered in another state and used only temporarily in Michigan.
There clearly is some confusion about it, though. Labor Day 2020, I launched 2 of my Sunfish at the DNR boat launch on Orchard Lake. Because it was a holiday and lots of boat traffic, the Sherriff was onsite and on the lake. The Sherriff noticed that one of my boats was registered (the '71) and the other was not (the '77). He asked why I had gone to the trouble to register the '71 since it was not required. I told him it had been registered by a previous owner and I just continued doing so. Looking at the experience documented by forum members xerexes and repete, the law is being applied inconsistently.

I think their is confusion among Michigan legislators and law enforcement as to whether a Sunfish can be classified as a 'sailboard' or not.

In the end, you are right, the safest thing is to register. If nothing else, it might reduce the chance of theft.
Weston,
This boat has no VIN#, hull #, tags or any other identification to be found. How would I register it?

Mine is very much propelled by paddles when the wind stops. Not registering jack.

At one time sailboats didn't require registration in New Hampshire. Later, I saw that Maryland had enacted a "Rain Tax", based on the area of your roof. :eek:

I register my Sunfish, but carry a message everywhere I go!

:cool:

Attachments

• P5230014.JPG
    P5230014.JPG
    888 KB · Views: 43
Weston,
This boat has no VIN#, hull #, tags or any other identification to be found. How would I register it?
At a minimum you’ll need a sales receipt.
If you don’t have a serial number, The MI SOS will require you to engrave a serial number that they provide on the transom. You could avoid that by buying a replacement serial number plate from Alan Glos in this forum. He has them in a variety of years. I don’t recall the cost but it is reasonable.

Back