New Sunfish owner ... looking for a few pointers

Hello! My wife has always wanted a Sunfish; but, they’re fairly uncommon here in Arizona. So, when one popped up on Craigslist a few weeks ago, we bought it after giving it a cursory inspection. It’s a 1977 AMF Alcort Sunfish “Classic Edition” (black mast and spars) and it came with a Montgomery Ward trailer - so I knew it was a smoking deal! It also came with some of the original paperwork, which was kind of cool.

Now, we’re wanting to take it for our first sail. I think all of the parts are there - wooden dagger board, wooden rudder, mast and spars. The sail is original and shot - it’s got some major holes in it. So, a couple of newbie questions:

- I need to buy a new sail. I see nice ones online from North Sails which I’m sure are great - I have a nice new main from North on our Catalina 22 and love it. But, my wife cares more about the sail color - and, technically, this one is HER boat. I see some cheapie ~$150 sails online from various sail lofts and chandleries. We will sail it together recreationally, and I will race it in our local club in the “Portsmouth” fleet ... a mismash of various small craft all handicapped ... there is one other Sunfish in the fleet, and that person is not highly “competitive”. So, question #1 - will I regret buying a cheapie starter sail? Is the performance difference compared to a nice North sail really all that noticeable? My gut is telling me that it’ll be fine for recreational sailing, and if I find myself doing poorly in the club racing, I’ll then consider picking up a nice racing sail. Thoughts and advice?

- Last question ... what else should I be concerned with / looking at, before taking it out for the first time? I’m replacing the halyard, sheet, and sail. Is there a way to test the functioning of the cockpit drain before getting out there? Anything else to worry about? I bought the Sunfish Bible and am slowly making my way through it ... but, would appreciated inputs from others.

We’re looking forward to wet-pants sailing! Thanks in advance for any pro tips and advice.

- Bob
Arizona Yacht Club - yes, there IS one!
1977 Sunfish “Classic Edition” sail number 51802

Bob,

Welcome to the Sunfish sailing community! A new class legal sail will cost you $350 to $460 - not worth it unless you you are racing in a Sunfish class sanctioned regatta. The consensus seems to be that the Intensity Sunfish aftermarket sail with a widow is the best value. They come in all white or red-white-blue. They usually cost about $150 but they go on sale from time to time. Google: "Intensity Sunfish sails".

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Thanks Alan, and we’re truly looking forward to being members of the Sunfish Community. Robin (my wife, and the “captain” of our Sunfish) wants “yellow” in the sail, so options are a bit more limited - we’re looking at a yellow “aftermarket” sail from thesailstore.com for a few bucks more - like $179, which includes a window. Your comments suggest that, unless we’re racing in a Sunfish sanctioned regatta, we’re probably good with the after-market, so I think we’ll give it a try.

We’re anxious to get on the water with the Sunfish. My Catalina 22 sailing starts up in late September with one-design racing, and we race pretty steadily until early May, when it gets too hot. We kind of do it backwards out here in Arizona - sail all year long, then take a break during the heat of summer. It’ll be refreshing to sail the Sunfish in the summer out here. And, I’m planning to race it - for better or worse - in our Portsmouth fleet - every other weekend ... the “off” weekends for my C-22 fleet. The Sunfish looks like a total blast, easier to transport and rig than our C-22, and so that opens up a lot of new Arizona lakes for us.

Thanks again, Alan.

- Bob

I got the Pacific Sunset Sail from thesailstore, with window. I definitely recommend getting a colored sail unless you're a hardcore racer. It looks so much better, you get compliments and stuff.

I would have actually gotten a custom sail to match better the boat, but customs are costlier and take longer.

One note: I got the window, but normally keep the sail up high enough that I can just see under it. I recommend that for casual sailing because you don't have to worry about ducking and the visibility is great. if i did it again I wouldn't have got the window.

BTW they used to have an option to do custom color sets but I'm not seeing that anymore.

IMG_20180330_154424218-EFFECTS(1).jpg

Last edited:
Couple of other tips:

get one of those collapsible paddles from Academy or whatever and stick it in the cubby. A lot of times its easier to paddle out of a tight spot when launching or whatever. (or if wind dies).

I had one of the metal bailers that was locked shut. (on my '72). I cut it out and replaced it with one of the modern plastic ones. I almost wish I hadn't because most times I don't bring in much water and when I do, the auto bailer don't work too good anyway.

A bungie line tied to your daggerboard and then clipped around your mast will tension your board in whatever position you'd like. They used to sell them at intensity sails but I don't see them anymore.

After selling my well-used sail, I ordered two sails from Intensity two years ago.

I hanked one on my 1977 ex-racer Sunfish, and easily out-sailed a perfect vintage Viking in several different winds. That first sail had no window, and is marked with "Neil Pride". I gave the other sail (unopened) to that same (Viking) sailing buddy last Friday—discovering too late, it had a window. :( It's marked Intensity. Anyway, I again out-sailed the Viking in light air—maybe worse... (And he's returned the sail!) I don't believe the Viking hull is at fault here, but can't explain the difference. Earlier, with both flying soft and worn sails, we were equals.

After two seasons the Neil Pride sail is showing some wear and pin-holes in the darker colors. (Acknowledging that sails "aren't forever"). In coloration, the sail is—top to bottom—lemon, lime, tomato, plum, and licorice. No complaints with the Neil Pride sail—and don't really need the Intensity's window—but should have compared the two when received from Intensity. :confused:

I like the window when heeled over. Sometimes for me it isnt always possible to sail flat. Kinda half hiked out saving the back for yard chores :)

I lucked out and got the Intensity Red/White/Blue on sale for $99 plus shipping three years ago. It was not supposed to have the fish on it (part of the reason for the lower price), but when it came, it did. Though expecting some higher performance, I did not notice a big difference between the original very well used sails and the new "race tuned" one. PS it also has the window which in fact does come in handy.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new boat. We really liked the Mai Tai sail we bought from Yankee Boating Center aka sunfishsailboatstore. It has the Sunfish logo and the window, had a very nice cut to it, see picture below. $295 plus shipping. The sails from FX had a nice cut as well but I don't know what their colors are. And the solid white Intensity sail has a nice shape and a nice price.

We had a Sunfish in Yuma from 1996-1999, sailed Senator's Wash.

You could put the plug in the bailer, add a little water and see if it leaks out.

We have gone back to basics and just use a retaining line, no bungee, and are ready to adjust the board when coming ashore. Other times the side pressure on it should keep it in place, or the spring when it is full down. If you decide to go bungee, a 5 foot piece will run from the bow handle back to the top of your daggerboard, there might already be a hole in it for a retainer line. Put a stop know on the board end and a snap shackle on the other end.

We like to rig our sail high, as seen in the picture below, keeps the boom out of our face. About 22 inches back on the gooseneck and halyard 60 inches down from the top of the gaff. See Recreational Rig.

We put sheet hangers from APS on our boats to hold the sheet up over the cockpit> Or Alan can tell you how to make some on the cheap.

We will put in a plug for our book, The Sunfish Owners Manual, lots of fun tidbits on the boat and common repairs.

And if you decide to buy a dolly, we can get you a new Dynamic Dolly with free shipping. We like ours so much we have one for each boat!

Have fun and welcome back to the World's Greatest Boat. PS We had a Catalina 22 also, another great boat.

IMG_6449.jpg

Last edited:
World's Greatest Boat = Laser :rolleyes:

Cheers!!! :D

P.S. I'm off to some prepper & survivalist forums for awhile, feel free to delete my account & all my posts, LOL... :cool:

All (except Ghost Rider) :) THANK YOU very much for the information! I just ordered a new sail from Neil Pryde - nice and colorful, as you recommended Greg. I went with the window ... not sure if it’ll be useful or not; but, we’ll have it. L&VW - your story about the Intensity sail versus the Neil Pryde was pretty interesting ... and just enough to swing me to Neil Pryde, even if it’s a few more bucks. Charlie - I don’t know “Senator’s Wash”; but, I’ll check it out. Our sailing will be on Tempe Town Lake (urban sailing!) and Lake Pleasant, and we’ll trailer to other lakes within an hour or two of Phoenix. I will also check out the Sunfish Owners Manual, and the Dynamic Dolly looks very cool - I may get back to you on that one. I’m hoping to pull the Sunnie out of the garage next weekend, rig it, do some work on the trailer, and get ready for our first sail. Oh, and Ghost Rider ... good plug for the Laser ... and I really did consider it and very nearly went that way; but, I think my wife will be happier with the Sunfish. Love ‘em both ... and looking forward to our Sunfish sailing! Looks like a great Sunfish community here ... thanks again for the help.

- Bob

I like the window when heeled over. Sometimes for me it isn't always possible to sail flat. Kinda half hiked out saving the back for yard chores :)

When capsized, it does make watching the lake's bottom easier.

If you're getting passed by a Sunfish, check for Neil Pride's logo on your competitor's sail (below).

Note how I control the main in light wind with a long bungee.

At the intersection of the spars—for wind direction—there's a short chain flying a short length of blue tarp strand. The strand is affected by "alternate breezes" curling over the hull, but this can be "learned" to be truly effective.

The Gooseneck is at 11", which is perfect as a "Senior Setting" when in my usual "recumbent mode". (Also referred to, as "Injun-style", "feet-up", "chaise" or "relaxed" sailing position).

While I have a collapsible paddle, I don't store it in the cubby, but have it handy resting between the halyard and mast. I may put a notch in the paddle tip to push the boom out or push-off from dock or shore. ☕

Fullscreen capture 7262018 61303 AM.bmp.jpg

L&VW: loved the tips. “Senior style” sounds about right for me ... although I occasionally wake up and ask myself what I’m doing in the middle of a lake. Cool tips - thank you! I’m going to clean up the old girl - 1977 - this coming weekend, and our new sail and running rigging should arrive in time to do our maiden voyage the following weekend. I’m really look forward to wet pants?

Back