New Standard Laser Sail Design

So if the class went to the new sail, the shape would be the same not the material tough?

that would be the hope

But I would like to see something a smidge different, more efficient, but that would require a new mast

Please read the current issue of Sailing World.

*US Sailing has also just started the US Youth Development Team (or called something to that effect) which main purpose is get take the best of the youngsters and promote them for the Olympics and get them to regattas. So far, I think it is only in Lasers and Radials

Just got the Sailing World in the mail this afternoon. I'll check it out.

I read the article. So, the US Laser team will only consist of 3 sailors and only those 3 will see any cash from this program? That's a tall order to get one of those 3 spots, but if you do it's a big leg up support wise.

It is good to hear there is movement for youth support, but at 21 you'll be outside that window.

Once you pass 18 you fall into that "no man's land" age group where it is the most competitive on the sailing side and the funding side.

So if the class went to the new sail, the shape would be the same, but not the material though?
If you read what Tracy's written on the subject, the class membership strongly resists "game changing" developments in this area, but is willing to consider minor changes that would be targetted only at improving durability. I would take that to include changes to the sail shape.

Heck, a change from crosscut to radial cut may be considered "radical heresy" by some.

I would hope that class leadership would make proposed designs available to look at (sail with?) at major class events in the US over the next few months/year leading up to a vote.

Yes, the pictures that Peter Drasnin posted are of a prototype standard rig sail which might one day replace the current production sails. It is the result of a series of discussions with the builders but with a major push starting last summer (followed up in Roses last September) to try to produce a higher quality, more durable standard sail with, as much as possible, the same sailing performance. And, importantly, it is not to be significantly more expensive than the current sail.

There should be an article on the sail in the upcoming Laser Sailor, or Laser World insert, with pictures taken while sailing along with some impressions thus far, etc. So... stay tuned!

The from reading other sailing forums like SA I have gathered that main thing that stops people from joining the laser class is the fact that to be competitive you have to buy a new sail very often.

True, but it's more evidence that we should stop the rumour-mongering about how quickly the sails die. The most successful sailor at the regatta the picture came from reckons he uses a sail for 50 races before he can feel it going slow. The most successful sailor at the preceding Open worlds denies that he gets special gear, as some people allege.

Back