Class Politics New Scoring System For ALL Sanctioned Laser Regattas

When Shall We Require the New Scoring System Be Used

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gouvernail

Super Opinionated and Always Correct
The New Olympic scoring is pretty clear with its requirements. If an event is a qualifier for the Olympics, we must use the new scoring system.

Here is an excerpt from the ISAF news page:

"1. Regatta Format

An 11 race series (a 16 race series for the 49er). A Medal Race will be scheduled on the day designated for each class’s medal ceremony, even if the full schedule has not been completed by that day.
The top 10 placed boats advance to the Medal Race. All boats advancing will be required to compete in the Medal Race.
On the water umpiring will be used in the Medal Race.
This format will apply to all test events and the 2008 Olympic Regatta (for all classes).
2. Scoring System

There will be one discard for the series score but the Medal Race shall not be discarded.
Competitors will carry their series scores (ie total of race scores after discard) through to the Medal Race.
Race scores for the Medal Race will be doubled (ie 2 points for first, 4 points for second, and so on) and added to the series score.
Any series tie after the Medal Race will be broken in favour of the boat finishing higher in the Medal Race.
If the Medal Race is not completed, medals will be awarded based on the series score for all the prior races (in the normal way)."

I propose we immediately begin using the new system for all events which could possibly be construed as part of the "ladder to the Olympics." Certainly this would include the Opti events where all the mommies and daddies think their kiddie is the next Robert Schiedt / Paul Elvstrom with only the best qualities of either gentleman.

I think the Gouv is on to something. Saying you must count the last race and it counts double would add some spice to every regatta. Let's do it.

However I'm not so sure about restricting the last race to the top 10 competitors only. That would be tough (but not impossible) to administer in any regatta where the last race was sailed immediately after the previous race. Not to mention the major major problem that everyone outside the top 10 gets to the beer first.

Also the Olympic rules require umpires on the water for the last race. And that would be impractical for most regattas. And we've already heard at length here what the masters think about judges.

But these last two features could certainly be added to multi-day major regattas where they already have judges anyway.

Another question. If every on-the-water incident in the last race in the Olympics is to be decided by umpires on the water, how many umpires would you need for 10 competitors? The obvious answer is 10 so 1 can follow each boat. But then if there is a rule incident when 2 boats meet which umpire gets to make the call? And if there are less than 10 umpires how do you guarantee that 1 is always on the spot when 2 boats meet?

Old Geezer said:
Another question. If every on-the-water incident in the last race in the Olympics is to be decided by umpires on the water, how many umpires would you need for 10 competitors? The obvious answer is 10 so 1 can follow each boat. But then if there is a rule incident when 2 boats meet which umpire gets to make the call? And if there are less than 10 umpires how do you guarantee that 1 is always on the spot when 2 boats meet?

Good questions, but surely they would not have passed this new system unless it had been thoroughly tested in international competition. Didn't you read about all the test events, that help ISAF refine this new system?

Funny, neither did I.

Eric said:
Good questions, but surely they would not have passed this new system unless it had been thoroughly tested in international competition. Didn't you read about all the test events, that help ISAF refine this new system?

Funny, neither did I.

Interestingly enough, in November 2004 ISAF posted on their website an experimental appendix of umpired fleet racing rules. See http://www.sailing.org/default.asp?MenuID=o/f0GX28zoMoD~%60RtK/DVn19Acp6U8~HWJaJm?GiirEQlN

It does include some questionnaires for feedback from the chief umpire and competitors to let ISAF know how the system works. Has anyone heard of these rules being used in a major regatta?

If these rules are going to be used in the Olympics, Laser contenders had better start to practice using arm signals which are now required in addition for a hail for room to tack under 19.1.

The appendix also includes an answer to my question about how many umpires...

Competitors need to accept that an umpire may not be in a position to judge every incident. Adequate resources and skills are required to manage the regatta effectively. This appendix is only recommended for small or moderate-size fleets of one-design boats or boats of similar size and speed. There should be at least one umpire boat for every six boats racing.

I think many race committees would have a hard time running this system. You basically need to set aside an extra day for this format, because of protests. At a regional, weekend events this would not be feasible. I think this system should only be used at certainl regattas, ie. qualifying regattas. However, it would still be difficult, and time consuming to do.

Isn't this purely for a TV aspect anyways? Trying to make sailing media friendly??

it was tested in some classes at the holland regatta in europe, not sure if it was a full implementation of the rules but i know there was a "grand final" race

What about putting using it at the Olympics only in the poll?

I don't think the new scoring system as they want to run it in the Olympics is practical for many other events. Remember the fleet size is small at the Olympics - I have to double check but I think it was about 30 so having the top 10 in the last race is some what more doable.
All the regional regattas, North Americans, Nationals are all ISAF ranked events. This events have from 30-100 sailors at them.
I sail in the Caribbean and we are trying to get our events ISAF ranked so the sailors don't have to travel to the states or europe to get on the ranking list. We are lucky to have one IJ at the events as we normally only have a max of 30 sailors. The events are at the weekend and they finish early on the sunday as everyone has to fly home. Having to put this system in will just put even more stress on the race comittee.

Personally I think it is a bad idea and I can think of far better ways to make it more televison friendly. Having weighted points or a third of the fleet sailing is not the way ahead.
We have events next to the beach here all the time with a commentator on a mike. We always have non sailors in the crowd and they like it as someone is explaining what is happening. It is fun, exciting and the whole fleet is sponsored so they get lots of coverage. The commentator always has the current scores so he can tell people whats happening. Oh and the courses are short with 15/20 min races - that makes the biggest diference. 45 mins of sail boat racing - boring! 15/ 20 mins exciting!

I'm not a real big fan of this new system. If that's what they need to sell the sport on TV, fine. Run it in the Olympics if you must, but don't force it on weekend warriors.

Appropriate use of this system would be at OCR-type regattas where mainly Olympic hopefuls are racing. A regular system should be left in place at CORK, district, and national regattas that cater to regular class members. The new system has no place at any master's events.

Back