New sailor here!

Thread starter #1
Price $
State
INDIANA
City
Indianapolis
Looking for a fair price on a fair Sunfish for a beginner. I want to sail blue water someday but I gotta start somewhere! I’d love something I can get my hands on if it needs a little TLC but nothing too major/structural to learn the basics on. I’m in Indiana but I’m willing to travel a couple hours for a deal.

Not sure what to put for price?

Sunfish

Don’t know where you are in Indiana, this could be 2 hrs or much more from you. Not my boat. Looks like a great deal and has the new style rudder. Keep an eye on craigslist for your best bet finding a used Sunfish.

Hang on to that blue water dream, and you'll make it happen someday... if only aboard a rental boat, aye? Sometimes a rental is the way to go when traveling, but it's best to ask the locals about conditions, currents, tides, specific hazards & obstructions, etc. If there's a chart handy at the rental dock (on a wall of the sail hut or rental office, for instance), take a good look at it, the knowledge may help you later... good luck in finding a boat, and CHEERS!!! :cool:

ask around your area. Not just ads, but talk to people who are sailing. I had been looking for several months and not found a boat i could afford. I was talking to a fellow kayaker and she said there was a sunfish for sale just a block from me. i talked to the guy and bought the boat, a 1966 model for $200.00. It was a complete original boat that had been in inside storage for 35 years. That's a pic of it on my page. You just have to keep at it and something will turn up. there are so many of these out there.

signal charlie

Staff member
Try a Wanted Ad on Craigslist. Expect to pay around 800 for what Alan calls a Beach Banger, a boat that is a little crusty but ready to sail.