new sailor , anxious to go further !

nickm.main

SO ! heres my story , went to saint lucia(a small island coutry in the west indies) for my march break , we went on this 40 foot keelboat with a man named michael and his assistant Jama who were offering this service to tourists. THE GUY LET ME SAIL THE BOAT TO OUR DESTINATION AND BACK.It was pretty friggin great.

And now I love sailing ! We've always had a laser sailboat in my cottage basement ,but rumour is that it leaked so people figured it was useless. I've fiberglassed and caulked and fixed it up and been out probably about a dozen times and it works great , takes on a little water but hey, SHE SAILS :D !

You guyys probably read this and think "oh . new guy." But im a fast learner and I definitly have the hang of it ! i am reading and studying the "advanced sailling skills" manual from/by the CYA presently.

So my question is - whats my next step ? If I want to race , can you offer some basic racing tactics that I should know or that I could use next time I went out ?? another thing im just curious about , my boat is pretty old and the paint is all chipped and such , and from what I've read , you can find the date it was manufactured from the serial number on the transom BUT I can't find it. Will the number on the sail tell me the same thing ??

Oh thats great thank you !
And ya, I put in a request with my instructor ,and she's gonna let me know if anyone is in need of someone to crew for them ! But I did that 2 weeks ago, I don't have much experince so i didn't really expect any replies ! So for now I'll just sail in the laser and perfect everything .

Back