New sail

wbrown62

My new Intensity Sails sail arrived today. Woohoo! I can't believe how much difference there is in the crispness of the sails. My old sail was about as worn 20 year old seedy hotel bedsheet. It's bound to make quite a bit of difference and I can't wait to try it out maybe as early as tomorrow. With thunderstorms a possibility, I may have to wait until another day. Also with the sail I received 2 sets of numbers (4 red and 4 black) along with 4 telltales. I didn't know that stuff was part of the package when I ordered, so it's a bonus. I also wasn't aware the sail would have the sunfish logo on it. At any rate, now I need to figure out the best place for the telltales and decide what numbers, if any, I want to put on the sail.

So, how have you liked your Intensity Sunfish sail now that you've spent some time with it? I know that other Sunfish "practice" sails are available from APS and others and have been thinking of purchasing one for my beach Sunfish. Thanks!

For tell-tales, there is a decent bit of advice in the Sunfish FAQ section of the forum:
http://sailingforums.com/pages/Sunfish_FAQ/#Where do I put telltales

I found this picture helpful:
telltail.jpg

Sail numbers are usually assigned to you by the Sunfish Class when you become a member. If you don't intend to become a member, you can always just make up your own numbers.

Cheers,
tag

There is a tremendous difference in the new sail, but me being an inexperienced Sunfish sailor, I really can't give any details on the Intensity sail. The quality seems very good and thus far, I am pleased. It seemed to be one of the more recommended sails for those who do not race.

Thanks for the tips on telltale placement.

I too got an Intensity sail for my 1964 Sunfish. I was given the Sunfish last year and the old sail had a lot of rodent damage, so I never did get to sail it with the old sail. The biggest reason for buying the Intensity sail was price. It came with telltales, numbers, a Sunfish logo and even a spar bag. I was going to order a spar bag for approx. $59 but when the sail showed up and the spar bag was included, I didn't complain. It doesn't look like the spar bag pictured on their website but hey, I am not gonna be too critical. When my wife found out that I spent $120 on a new sail, she wasn't too thrilled - however, when I pointed out that it came with a $50 spar bag, she settled down. (If she ever found out what I really spent on this Sunfish, she would be unhappy!)

This is the first summer that I ever sailed a Sunfish and I must say that this was some of the best sailing I ever did. I am very pleased with the Intensity sail. It is crisp and strong.

I am not too interested in becoming a member but I thought I might use the numbers to show the year of the boat or even the serial number that's on the tag. I have been studying up on the use of telltales, and that is what brought me to this thread. I don't consider myself a novice sailor, but I am finding out that I don't know a lot of stuff.

I took out my new Intensity sail on Saturday and the difference between the new sail and the Ratsey and Lapthorn sail I was using before was incredible. The old sail was so silky soft you could use it as a bed sheet and be very comfortable. Not so with the Intensity sail. The new sail is cut so much fuller and it's amazing how clear the window is. Needless to say, I'm a very happy customer (although I didn't get a spar bag in the package).

I took my new red white and blue Intensity sail out for a maiden voyage yesterday. I, too had a Ratsey & Lapthorn sail that appears to have been with my boat since its birth in about 1972 (still a mystery since there are no numbers on the transom and where the Alcort badge goes on the older boats I have a white badge that is completely blank) and had the same silky softness that danpal described. I'm overjoyed about the crisp newness of the sail and can't wait until I get a better breeze to enjoy it in. I do have a handful of minor quibbles: 1) free spar bags? I didn't get one either nor did I expect one but if sblg43 got one, then I want one too! (I think I'll get over it) 2) my S hook at the clew of the sail doesn't really go through the grommet since it is further back from the corner and the hook is not large enough. I suspect I'll need to switch over to line to secure the clew. 3) there was adhesive along the seams of the window which attracted pine needles and other woodland duff from my tree-lined lakeside rigging area and now I've got a cruddy looking mess around part of my window. My hope is that the adhesive will dry and I'll tip over enough this summer to dislodge the crud.

I have had both the Intensity sail and the APS practice sails. I much prefer the Intensity. The APS sail material seemed to develop these white 'cracks" in the material when I pulled it out of the bag. These are probably a result of the material coating. But even on a white sail, looked ugly after my first use. I have owned both the all white Intensity and now the red/white/blue. now if he could only offer other colors like the old Mackinaw sail.

Reactions: tag
This whole knock-off sail discussion is interesting, especially as it relates to Intensity. The popular sailing blog Proper Course, whose skipper frequents these very forums, posted on the subject last year:
http://propercourse.blogspot.com/2012/05/play-with-intensity.html

When I heard that Cedar Point, which is about as serious a sailing club as we'll see anywhere in these parts voted to permit Intensity sails in its Laser club racing, that's saying something. I have been encouraging our newer Sunfish fleet club members to try them, and so far our club is good with them. Intensity seems to be the class act of the knock-offs.

For one former back of the fleet sailor who had been using a recreational sail it has really improved his experience and enjoyment. He had bought his old boat for not that much more than the cost of a North racing sail, so he wasn't keen to double up his investment with a new North.

On he other hand, last year's club champion started the season out by trying one, but quickly switched back to the old North after a weekend or two. That sailor was counting on firsts and seconds and came in maybe third or fourth in a tight fleet and quickly bailed on the sail. (Actually I did the same thing awhile back with a new North sail when I finished a little lower).

All that anecdotal stuff just reinforced the idea with everyone that the Intensity sail is fine. if someone had switched and started having really attention getting results one way or he other the rest of the gang might not be so thrilled with the idea.

A decade ago I don't think I would have felt the same way. I had a lot more loyalty to the builders then, and by extension to the 'class legal' sails and blades, than I do today. I'm not as enamored with the current builder as I was to SLI or Vanguard - regarding both my own experience with build issues with their boats and my perception of their treatment of the Sunfish and Laser classes- and I can't muster up the same loyalty.

Don' get me wrong, I'm not at all in favor of a free for all where we allow just any sailmaker's sail, but a high-quality option that provides some price competition (specifically Intensity) seems like a good thing. If nothing else, I'd like to see Intensity sails allowed at class junior events.

I seem to have gotten carried away. Sorry about that.

Reactions: tag

Back