New sail

alright, ive got a new sail and im racing this weekend should i be sailing with it before the regatta or what? also what should i use for ticklers, i have, in the past used the ticklers that you buy from the boat store that are made of a nylon like material, but i have heard that wool ticklers are better...

I would take the new sail out for a while just to get used to it. Don't want to be figuring out how to tune it while you are racing.

take the new sail out in about 8 knots and just do reaching and running for a while. this sounds pretty boring but your wallet will thank you when its normally time for a new sail and yours still has even shape because it wasnt stretched like mad the first time you used it

well i didn't want to start a new thread for this simple question,

where are the laser sails made? i mean the one we use in europe, cos i know u guy over the pond have 'North' and 'Hyde' (is it?)

who makes them for us and where abouts?

thanks in advance

hyde, which is the european sail, is made in england

north are made in sri lanka

generally north are cheaper than hyde

Murphs said:
hyde, which is the european sail, is made in england

north are made in sri lanka

generally north are cheaper than hyde

The Hyde's are made in Cebu Philippines. The cost diff between the North and Hyde changes based on the what the builder uses as their main source. In Aus and North American, the two builders use North as their source and so the Norths are generally less expensive, in Europe PSE uses Hyde so the Hydes are generally less expensive.

I'd bend the new sail on- spend an afternoon at it. Basically, rig the boat like normal and leave it on it's dolly. Then set the sail and dolly on a reach for an hour or two, then switch gybes and leave it again.

49208 said:
The Hyde's are made in Cebu Philippines. The cost diff between the North and Hyde changes based on the what the builder uses as their main source. In Aus and North American, the two builders use North as their source and so the Norths are generally less expensive, in Europe PSE uses Hyde so the Hydes are generally less expensive.

That's interesting the Hyde's are made in the Philippines. Has that always been the case. In North America they tend to advertise the Hyde's as
Hyde UK.......

not any more that is why the favored racing sail has been hyde for a long time and that is also part of the reson that the price is higher. in aus anyways the reason it was supposidly better was that it was made by uk people in the uk therefore it had verry high standards bou since hyde moved to the phillipines things have changed and not many people know they ever moved

It is definitely useful to practice some light wind sailing with the new sail, I found that after buying a new sail my results in light wind dropped.

It is definitely useful to practice some light wind sailing with the new sail, I found that after buying a new sail my results in light wind dropped.

Really
I can't see why most people I know who get new sails completely destroy everyone else in light winds

Back