New sail rings look worse than my 42 year old rings!

cantgrowup

I'm replacing sail and rings on my 1976 Sunfish and the new sail rings I bought don't appear as well made as the 42 year old rings that I'm taking off. The new rings have sharp square corners (on the snap latch ends) which look like they could conceivably puncture the sail fabric. The old rings have smooth rounded snap latch ends. I've since found some new rings that look just like the old ones, but before I order them, I'm wondering what others think of the square-corner rings.

They've also sharpened the edges on the new Legos. It makes finding them much easier!

What the heck.... I just decided to go with the new rings. They wouldn't have made them like that if they weren't "engineeringly" sound.

What the heck.... I just decided to go with the new rings. They wouldn't have made them like that if they weren't "engineeringly" sound.
Laser Performance frequently seems more focused on cost cutting than engineering. I’d save the old clips just in case.

I can sell you a set of used, but nice shape "old style" sail attachment rings for $7 + $7 for flat rate shipping. The rings you have may be shower curtain clips and not good - can damage the sail when furled. How many rings do you need? Want 2 spares (same price)?

Let me know. Thanks.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I just got rid of the plastic clips and used short pieces of line as the sail ties.
img0213_023-outhaul-clew-area.jpg

Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to try these square tipped ones for awhile. The metal grommets on the new sail are larger and cover the sharp corners on the new clips.

Back