New sail needed

Anyone know where you can get a racing sail or a standard sail without the logo.

If you find an answer to this question perhaps you can also tell me where to find Nike running shoes without that annoying swoosh symbol, a BMW car without that tacky logo and some M&Ms candy without the letters printed on them. (Who want to eat ink? Ugh). By the way, does anyone know why half the M&Ms in a packet have W's on them?

Racing sail, no, but there are several manufacturers of non class legal recreational sails for the Sunfish, But they aren't legal for racing. And forget taking the logo off. It's silk screened on not an applied item.

The reason I'm tring to locate a sail with no logo on it is because it is not a Sunfish.The boat is very similar in the rigging,but with a larger cockpit,and a molded in splash gaurd.I'm a big fan of the Sunfish and however I cannot afford one yet,so I am making do with what I have.Sorry I offended you.

Sounds like a Scorpion. I can't find a good link (got to clean out my favorites) for one of the sail makers, but a google search on Sunfish sails should bring up a couple. The ones made by other than North for Vanguard won't have the logo so you'll be all set. Figure about $245 and IIRC they have several color paterns to choose from.

The reason I'm tring to locate a sail with no logo on it is because it is not a Sunfish.The boat is very similar in the rigging,but with a larger cockpit,and a molded in splash gaurd.I'm a big fan of the Sunfish and however I cannot afford one yet,so I am making do with what I have.Sorry I offended you.

You didn't offend me - I was just amused that someone would want to buy a famous consumer branded product without the brand logo. Hope my flamimg reply didn't offend you.

It's interesting that there seem to be so many boats that are almost like a Sunfish but not exactly a Sunfish. We seem to get enquiries about them quite often in this forum. What is the reason for this phenomenon? Were there a lot of Sunfish "clones" made in the early days of 'fish history? I'm not aware of the phenomenon for other classes. Perhaps a reflection of the Sunfish's huge popularity - imitation being the most sincere form of flattery.

But when all is said and done, the Sunfish still IS a consumer branded product. Most manufacturers in such a market will vigorously defend their design and their brand. How come so many firms were able to rip off the Sunfish design?

Check out southsails florida. they have "knock offs" of the race sail and rec sail at cheap prices. Call Mac and order one. They are actually quite noce. I have one of his race sail copies. VERY similar to the real thing with a window and everything. I use it for practice.

Also check out Bacon & Associates in Annapolis, MD (Google "Bacon & Associates sails" and you may find a website. They have used sails of all kinds and the occasional new Sunfish knock-off replacement sails. I bought one for project several years ago and it was very good quality.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

A little off the topic but there is a web site
( http://www.shortypen.com/brdboat/ ) that has a list of some of the Sunfish clones and has pictures of some of them.
If you scroll down you will find "Sunfish and Clones".
It lists AMF with an Amflite 14. So I guess if you can't beat them, buy them.

I just ordered one from Southsails in Florida.Ordered it today and will be here on Friday.Thanks for the tip.

I just found out the boat is a Scat made in Gloucester,Va. by Gloucester Yatch Co. They got the the bought the design from Lockley/Newport.It was called a Panther when Lockley/Newport first marketed the boat.They also sold a 12 ft. boat called a Sand Shark.If anyone has heard of this or has one,send some pictures or email me.Thanks

Back