New Sail for Big Regatta?

Slipstream

Hi,

Was wondering if I could get some advice about whether or not to get a new sail for a regatta that's comming up.

I'm not bad but by no means world class... I was given a standard sail that looks like it's in good condition, and probably has about 8-10 regattas on it... it's dated 2006, looks clean, relatively crispy, kept rolled and has no creases.

I'll be racing against some of the top sailors in the region, and although "realistically" I don't think I'll win, I'm not trying to come last either. Wind can be anywhere between 5-15, but the average is 12.

Will a new sail make a big difference?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Full or Radial ?

For a full, I use the following type of "measurement"
Diff between New and mid life sail -
4-12 knots wind speed - 0-2 boat lengths advantage every 30 mins of upwind sailing (lower number as the wind lightens)
12-15 2-4 boat lengths every 30 mins upwind (on the 4 side in flat water, 2 in choppy)
Over 15 4-0 lengths every 30 mins upwind (4 if you are able to sail fully powered up down to 0 when you are fully depowered (again, flat water shows more gain)

The boat lengths I speak off aren't nec straight line speed, but better pointing, ie take away all other variables, and imagine the same boat sailing first with one sail and then repeating with the other sail - I'm speaking of the difference of where the new sail would be compared to the older sail. In real life, it can mean very little in terms of where someone finishes with a small number of competitors in a typical event where there is a good spread of abilities. At the other end, in a regatta with 50+ boats, where the competitors' abilities are closely matched it can mean something like 5-10 places

If you do decide to get a new sail, search for the threads here about breaking the sail in before your first race.

Thanks for that!-Never seen it broken down like that before.

I'm sailing standard rig, at the light end 78kg, and in good shape. The seasonal average windspeed for the event will be around 12knots... If the wind is low, my light weight should work to my advantage. -I'm already stretched with the travel, accommodation and charter for this one so probably won't spring for a new sail.

Thanks again for the info. appreciate it. Have a bit more peace of mind too.

Do you use this sail for practice sessions or do you have another older sail? If not how about buying an old sail in reasonable condition and spend time on the water not flogging your best one. Time on the water will save many more boat lengths than a new sail.

Do you use this sail for practice sessions or do you have another older sail? If not how about buying an old sail in reasonable condition and spend time on the water not flogging your best one. Time on the water will save many more boat lengths than a new sail.

I think there is something to be said for practicing with a sail which trims and adjusts just like the one you will be racing with. However due to the high cost and limited lifespan of Laser sails, most sailors will keep their best sail for regattas only.

And yes, time on the water trumps all.

Thanks for the suggestions! -I have one regatta sail (my good one) which has been used maybe once or twice a year since 2006, and an old class legal sail to practice in use for club racing.

The old sail I practice with is a little stretched and the leech flaps when the breeze is up, but it's hasn't gone completely soft yet. Apart from that it seems to be performing well enough for club regattas, I've been using more Cunningham to try and bring the draft forward.

I'm lucky in that I have most weekends to practice, so hopefully that time will translate into gains. But going back to the should I get a new sail question, as much as I try to convince myself otherwise, I keep thinking I'll be at a disadvantage.

Someone suggested to me the other day, a new sail might make all the difference when fighting off the line for some clean air. Also if I find myself consistently neck to neck with a few other boats in a big fleet, as Tentmaker suggested it might mean the difference of a few places. -As much as I'd like to think this is going to be more of a learning experience, I'm definitely in it to do well so I'm leaning back towards getting a new sail... Indecisive!

There are some things you can do to limit the effects of a tired sail off the line.. Obviously the first is recognizing the signs before the start of the first race, ie, figure out ahead of time if you are going to have problems holding a lane or not. If you are going to have problems, these are somethings you can do:
Avoid starting to windward of the top guys (and lighter guys when you are not in hiking mode) - Ideally find a hvy skipper and start to leeward of him
Delay the depower controls as the breeze comes on (vang/cunningham)- hike harder instead and try to maintain decent leech tension (less twist)
Prepare to have more "situational awareness" than normal, ie if someone is to leeward, will they be able to force you to tack, and what your options are (you have to know you have room to put the bow down a bit, or a clear lane to tack)

Thanks for that 49208! Great stuff to think about with or without a tired sail. Hopefully ill have enough presence of mind at the start to think about who u line up next to, just hope I can maintain decent situational awareness during the race... I tend to struggle with that especially when the wind is strong.

Appreciate the tips :)

I'm a big proponent of getting the best equipment that you can afford, but I firmly believe that if you build up your boat handling, work on strategy and tactics, you will gain much more than with a new sail.

Getting a Laser to go fast has a lot to do with your sail, but even more to do with weight distribution and boat handling. Let's also not forget, you can be the fastest in the fleet, but if you go the wrong way, you fall back to the middle of the pack the fastest.

If it were me (currently, I am using a 2007 full main that's pretty tired - had a fair amount of success with it last summer) I would continue with your current program and work on strategy and tactis. When you feel for sure that it's the boat (sail) that is affecting your final position, then pony up for a new sail.

Thanks and I definitely have a lot of room for improvement.

Tactics and strategy are probably my biggest shortcomings (not taking into account lack of talent :D ). I think I ought to keep things in perspective at this point and not get caught up thinking about factors that are negligible. My learning curve is starting to drop off and if I'm honest with myself there are no quick fixes, and a new sail isn't going to make me a better sailor.

I just need to work harder and smarter to get to get to the next level.

Just wanted to let you all know I caved in and got a new sail... going to look up the threads about how to break it in! Thanks for all your help :)

Back