New Rudder Design, Why?

Demon

I have read Tom Whitehurst's description on the new rudder design and wonder why we have a small group of people deciding the fate of class for the rest of us? We sail and race Sunfish because of the way they are.

The Sunfish is a boat that all size people can sail, so far all modifications seem be benefit the smaller sailor while taking away for the larger sailor (Jens, Reefing, etc.) The new rudder will make the boat easier to handle in heavier conditions, again helping the smaller sailor. Part of sailing a Sunfish is being able to overcome the idiosyncrasies of the boat, not changing the boat.

Also, the new rudder is suppose to save on maintenance. Why not just go with composite of the current blade, like the ones that will be used in the upcoming Worlds boats? A composite rudder would fix the splitting, regular refinishing, hole elongating and when the rudder is kicked up, we won't have to worry about water damage to the wood.

Before too long, someone will want to change the Sunfish's lateen rig and we will have upgraded ourselves to a Laser.

We have a small(?) group of people deciding because that is who we (as a class) have decided to choose to review issues and make decisions. Kind of like our government ( I mean that in a good way). If you don't like the decisions then you should get elected to one of these positions, or as a regional representative. You can also just speak out from within this forum and your voice will be heard. I know I listen to, and learn from the many opinions expressed here. I think many of the recent posts have shown the split betwen the "keep it as it is/was" camp, and the carbon fiber innovators. There seems to be a fairly good blend within this class (that's why my first Masters was such a blast), and hopefully "younger" sailors (can't believe I'm saying that at age 50!!) will continue to be attracted to the Sunfish, and not all lured by away by other boats with more hulls, high technology and glitz.

Believe it or not the people you elect to run the class and the Manufacture ( Vanguard ) are the ones that will decide this fate..... not a small group of sailor. Our goal is to find all the facts and present them with all the good and bad. If this was not a good thing for the Sunfish Class, I would not be involved and before you make judgement pro or con, wait until you see the facts and try one of the prototypes when they become available and see the difference yourself. I’m not an advocate for change unless there is some merit.

From our testing so far, there as been no significant speed difference in sailing with old or new blades. I’m sure over time that may change but it is not a significant change in boat performance that the daggerboard was. However, handling is greatly enhanced which makes sailing in heavier conditions much easier for EVERYONE..... This doesn't mean that a lighter sailor will have more or less an advantage.

For those who appose any changes, maybe you would prefer to sail with the older daggerboard, or a wooden hull.... better yet sail with the old hook instead of a ratchblock.

And No, we are not proposing getting rid of the gaff rig and replacing it with a lateen rig.

The main focus of this improvement will make the Sunfish more attractive to sail to attract & keep more people sailing the Sunfish longer. Yes, sometimes we do have to think about what is good for the Sunfish Class and not ourselves.

Tom Whitehurst

I Was Not For Any Changes Till I Listened To What The People That Tryed The New Rudder Said . It Was The Same Answer From All Of Them What A Differance The Change Would Make. And Had This Been Done Years Ago As It Was Supossed To Be Our Fleet Would Be Larger And Stronger With More Young Sailors The Life Blood Of Any Fleet.

As Far As A Small Group Deciding What's Best For The Fleet. I Think You Need To Be Thankful For All The People That Give Their Time And Energy To Keep The Sunfish Fleet's Going On A Local. National And International Level. If It Was Not For My Regional Rep. I Would Never Been Sailing Sunfish. Meeting Such Nice People From All Over The World.

I Say Thank You To All Of Them !!!

And No, we are not proposing getting rid of the gaff rig and replacing it with a lateen rig.
Little bit of a slip there Tom. LOL
Been sailing Lasers a bit to much lately? Besides that was done years ago with the Formula S and Super Sunfish. Again LOL

I look at the history of the fish. Back in the 60's when the class was it's strongest, the boat had a Portsmouth rating of 113, The Fogh sail, new style rudder and mounting and allowing board mods brought it down to 108, The racing sail brought it down to IIRC 103, The plastic fantastic has it down to 99.
All changes to the boat that used the argument to make the boat "more one design" at the time and all changes that put a lot of boats "on the beach".
The attempt to split the Fish into "classic and "race" versions fell by the way side as no one could fit into the classic mold because of the many "variations" of Fish updates.
US Sailing even had "recreational" and "race" handicaps for several years, but again due to the many levels of fish it became unmanageable.

I do have to thank you for participating in the forum here. I only wish more more of the class rep's would join in.

I think that the new rudder is a good idea. As a jr. I have a little trouble sailing in heaver weather so I would like that. I think that all they are trying to do is make the boat better and more fair no matter what size you are.

Please don’t ask to join as a member of this group. Membership is restricted to just the development and testing group.

You can get the following at the yahoo group site: ( you might have to create an account to view but its free )

1) Send and email to the group for QA and information.
2) View the calendar to view events at which a prototype will be available.
3) View link to information, photos.

I will create a rudder page on the Sunfish Class site shortly as well as keep an article in the WL.

TW

Back