new rudder and tiller extention

crazysailor

Hi i need a new rudder because the genius who owned the boat before me decided to make one out of plywood, and obviously this isn't race legal. so i need a new one any good place to y one for a good price there is no store around me that sells them. also me tiller extension is only 30" long so is there any good brand that i should look into and how long should it be.

where are you located crazysailor?

For your extension, you'll want one about 48". There are aluminum ones and carbon fiber ones.

we sell both and I'd be happy to help you get what you need.

i say go with west coast cause of the free shipping and i have heard has very good service.

As to the tiller extension i say go with the fatso carbon fiber if you have big hands and the fatso jr. carbon fiber if you have small hands. Even though they are more expensive you should just go ahead and splurge and get it cause they are one of the nicest things to have. I used to have an alluminum one and they can be a pain when they get wet cause you cant grip them along the whole length and with the carbon you have a really good grip and due to the light weight you have alot better feel. Another thing is if you are learning your first bad tack when you land on the extension will bend the aluminum extension but the carbon fiber will not bend.

Sailor 327.... You are right you won't bend a carbon fiber tiller extension, it'll break, I've broken two. The good thing about the aluminium is if you bend it, unless bent really badly you can straighten it back out. Wrapping sports tape or something similiar on the shaft will cure those slippage problems.
Regards,
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

Hhhhmmmm, i knew they could break but ive never heard of it happening to anyone let alone having it done twice but i personaly love my fatso and wont trade it for anything.

I took the point that I stopped sitting on my tiller extension during tacks and gybes as a sign to get a carbon one. I'm in the UK and have a Rooster tiller and extension and they rule!

computeroman2 said:
if you're west coast, go with west coast. If you're east coast, go with APS.

If you are on the East Coast call us...have them in stock and will give special discount to TLF readers on all parts...

WestCoast said:
where are you located crazysailor?

For your extension, you'll want one about 48". There are aluminum ones and carbon fiber ones.

we sell both and I'd be happy to help you get what you need.

i am located in ottawa ontario canada so on the east coast. for anyone who wants to know.

crazysailor said:
i am located in ottawa ontario canada so on the east coast. for anyone who wants to know.

Try here :
The Chandlery
367 Poulin St
Ottawa, Ont
613 820-7642

they can get you a rudder tiller and any thing else you need for your Laser and they will price match

Laser76489 said:
Try here :
The Chandlery
367 Poulin St
Ottawa, Ont
613 820-7642

they can get you a rudder tiller and any thing else you need for your Laser and they will price match

THanks i've been there and probably am going to order a new rudder from them some time this week. now i need to know which would e a good tiller extension (carbon fiber out of price range) so any brands i could check out would be super

When you are there ask Steve to sell you the wedge for the end of a factory tiller then go to a metal shop and buy some 1 inch Al tubing for the tiller buy a universal joint from The chandlery and mate it with a old ski pole cut to the desired length. Go to Canadian tire & buy a golf club grip for 3 bucks and you have a close to factory tiller and extension for not a lot of dollars...save your coins and buy the carbon one latter..but it will get you on the water. I am using this on my boat now and like it better than the factory stuff. It is not as good as carbon but this way I can afford to eat as well as sail.

Back