new plastic bailer leaks

imported_Will

I recently installed a new plastic bailer after removing the old frozen metal one. When my wife and I (two adults in a sunfish) took the boat out on the water, I noticed that even with the cap on, some water was leaking in. This bailer came with one rubber gasket that I put over the threaded section as the instructions state. However, I keep reading in these threads about how there is a gasket that would go between the bailer and the outside of the hull. But there seems to be a school of thought that eliminates this gasket to make the bailer more flush with the hull. I didn't see such a gasket in my bailer assembly. Does anyone know the real story?

Thankyou

Will Pfluger

The gasket you are talking about is actually an O-ring. Your bailer should not leak when properly installed. As to the idea of reducing the profile of the bailer assembly by leaving the gasket out, it would seem that carrying around a few gallons of water would be worse than the extra 1/8 inch in added profile by having the unit properly assembled.

If you buy the whole assembly new, you get one O-ring for the bottom and you get the flat gasket with the plug molded on a strap for use in the cockpit. Both of these act to seal the bailer to the hull. You also will get the ball and a soft foam seal for the throat of the bailer. The ball floats against the foam to make the seal.

Thanks Bryant

I didn't notice the soft foam seal. Is that built into the throat of the bailer or do you have to put it in?

Will

Hi Brad

Thankyou, that diagram shows it perfectly. I think I just need to see if the seal is in fact, in my unit. I don't remember seeing it when I installed the bailer.

Again, thankyou for your help

Will

Back