New Paint w/Power Sprayer?

JamesLoxley

Hello all,

I'm about to repaint a '75 hull. Most of the prep work has been done and I'm just awaiting delivery of my paint: Interlux Pre-Kote, and Brightside for the top coat. What has been y'all's experience with using a power sprayer (Wagner-type) to paint 'fish? I'm thinking of using it for the primer, so as to lay down several, thinner coats. I've also thought of using it for the final topcoat, but have much more experience with roll and tip and probably should go that way for the final coat. I realize both would require thinning (Interlux has some decent guidelines for that). Thoughts?

Loxley Compton

I'd look at Interlux site for info. My impression was you needed a HVLP sprayer to move that paint.

Give it a shot on a scrap of wood?

And find a good respirator!

Will do. I think you're right about needing an HVLP. I've found several (reasonably) affordable ones. I wonder if anyone has a recommendation on sprayer models. It looks like with a good gun, I could possible lay down both primer and topcoat. And, yes, copy that on respirator. Thanks, Mr. Kent.

Interlux says the Pre-Kote can be applied with an airless sprayer but I'm thinking of going with an HVLP. You don't learn if you don't try. Or "who dares, wins" as they say.

Back