new paint job and cockpit drain plug.

nickm.main

I have an older laser and I would like to repaint it because presently it is speckeled white and red because the white paint has chipped off near the stern of the boat. I am hoping that in painting I will seal it up a little aswell , Is that a realistic hope ?

Now about the cockpit drain plug ! Like I said the laser is pretty old so I have plastic drain plugs and fittings. I would like to replace the drain plug and fitting in the cockpit but in speaking to the guy at the chandlery I learnt that new laser drain plugs are made of brass and that the new fittings are smaller than the old ones (or maybe bigger ?). any suggestions ?

thank you ! nick.

Which drain plug are you looking to replace? The one in the cockpit or the one in the stern?

If it is the cockpit, I just did this on an old laser. There is a brass bushing between the deck and hull. Put a thickened epoxy in between first and then install the bushing. I bought a new bailer which comes with the plug that fits in the bushing.

If it is the stern, check aps under the laser section. There is a chart which lists the year and which one it should be. I ordered the 1/4 turn one for an old laser and it fit perfect!

Good luck

It is the drain plug in the cockpit ! The one I currently have in is plastic and I would like to change that to have a brass one like you describe.the plastic one is held in with screws. the brass bushing simply just fit in the existing hole ? Held in there with the epoxy ?

It is the drain plug in the cockpit ! The one I currently have in is plastic and I would like to change that to have a brass one like you describe.

the plastic one is held in with screws.

the brass bushing simply just fit in the existing hole ?

Held in there with the epoxy ?[/quote]

Um... cockpit drain definitely not held in by two screws. Are you sure you’re not thinking about the transom plug? The new brass cockpit plug is actually two parts that screw together.

If we're talking about the cockpit drain then yes, remove old plastic drain, goop with 4200 or 5200 and slap her in there. The caveat is if the bondo material holding the cockpit to the hull is compromised then things get a bit more tricky. You can tell that’s the case if when you remove the plastic drain plug if the hull and cockpit no longer line up. If you find yourself in that place search this forum for hull to cockpit union repair.

Negative, 3M 4200 or 5200.

I agree .. it sounds as if you are talking about the transom plug. This is what the replacement looks like.
yhst-32154317745271_2115_1947299

The one in the cockpit is like a rubber cork with no screws. Here is a link to the one from intensity sails

http://www.intensitysails.com/autobailer.html. If you look on the forum, there is a good webpage that gives you step by step instructions on how to install it.

As per the brass bushing, what I did was removed everything (including the bushing) and filled the gap between the hull and deck where the bushing goes. This way, if the silicone every started to leak around the bushing, I could not take on water. Next, silicone the bushing and install it. This takes two people as there is a nut on each side. Pay attention to the angled washer that must go in. After that, install the autobailer and you should be good as new!:D

It would seem that a previous owner has put a transom drain plug into the hole where the cockpit drain plug should be :eek: ! So from here I should just plug the screw holes with fiberglass and install the new drain plug ?? anything else ? I will post pictures in the next coming week or so !

Back