New Owner of 1974 Sunfish... introduction and newbie questions.

delaware

First - thanks for all the info on this site. It's amazing how many projects I've enjoyed as a result of online forums the last fifteen years. This forum especially is top notch and I'm excited to share my journey with you all.

I bought the fish last weekend. It's in good shape (I think) and has been kept indoors most its life. I'm the third owner, and as far as I can tell, the halyard and sheet are original, as are the tiller, rudder and centerboard. PO said it's got maybe 25 total trips on it.

There is no main block, nor is there a cleat on the mast - two things at the top of the list it seems. I'm also looking to replace the sheet and halyard - I have 3/8" Samson (lefotver from another project), and this may be a silly question... but does it matter what color the sheets/halyards are? Also, is it advisable to use 3/8" line as a halyard? Seems like 5 mm (aka 3/16") the proper choice.

The sail is worse than I thought, but hopefully serviceable. I'm going to wash it (woolite, vinegar and water), patch it (sail tape, gorilla tape, duct tape, 5200), and treat it (I think) with 303 aerospace treatment (I have a gallon from an Amazon lightning deal I've hardly used). I know just about all these techniques are frowned upon as a budget option, but if the boat flies ok, I'll be shopping for a sail soon enough. I'm not worried about appearance right now, especially if I can save the expense of a sail until winter.

I'm hoping I can test sail with the hardware as-is (including the tiller, rudder and centerboard) and forego the fancy block in favor of the old style "hook" just inside the cockpit.

Service the sail, replace the lines, call out sick and get wet. Dumb idea?

Also considering a couple lessons for confidence - there's a fleet nearby (300 I think, in Dewey Beach, Delaware), and they give lessons. Any members of the RBSA on this forum? I'm considering checking it out for next season.

Oh yeah, pics.. happy Friday!

PS - it's got a boss trailer I'm hoping to stack a couple kayaks on top. Stay tuned.

Attachments

• 74 fish.jpg
    74 fish.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 74 fish2.jpg
    74 fish2.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 74 fish 3.jpg
    74 fish 3.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 58
  • 74 fish 4.jpg
    74 fish 4.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 74 fish 5.jpg
    74 fish 5.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 74 fish 6.jpg
    74 fish 6.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 67
3/8 is fine for mainsheet, if not on the big side. ...but too thick for the halyard to pass thru the top of the mast. Skip treating the sail. Patch and use. You might trailer the mast and sail on top if the boat to minimize road grime. No lessons s/b needed. Take a reasonably calmer day and go for it. YouTube and sailing books will help. The mast hook is enough for starters without a doubt.

Looks quite nice!

A block is more useful than a cleat on the mast. And I agree with the above post to forget about washing the sail. I also agree that 3/16" is the correct diameter for the halyard and it should be 'no-stretch'. The sheet can be anything you want. I use a thicker one for heavy air and a skinnier one for light air. Colors don't matter.

I am not a member of the RBSA (Dewey Beach), but I know that they are very welcoming. They run races almost every Saturday in the summer, I think, and you could learn a lot by just asking and sailing along, without actually racing. Rehoboth Bay Sailing Association, the premier sailing facility in Sussex County Delaware

There's another club with a Sunfish fleet in Lewes.

Absolutely, go sailing! Of course, make sure your lines are safe. Craig O’Bara on this forum can set you up with the proper diameter, etc. The sail doesn’t look bad and you’ve got the new style rudder- I love the green cockpit and all in all a great looking Sunfish!

3/8 is fine for mainsheet, if not on the big side. ...but too thick for the halyard to pass thru the top of the mast. Skip treating the sail. Patch and use. You might trailer the mast and sail on top if the boat to minimize road grime. No lessons s/b needed. Take a reasonably calmer day and go for it. YouTube and sailing books will help. The mast hook is enough for starters without a doubt.

Thanks for the reply mixmkr. I'll use 3/8" for a new sheet (free), and shop for a halyard. And yeah, most the damage to the sail seems to be a result of being wrapped tightly around the rigging. RE: lessons.. I "learned" to sail on a 50' Hunter and owned a 1965 26' Pearson Ariel for one season, and only single handed it once. I didn't know if I was entering a learning curve that was putting me in danger.. thanks for the confidence. I'll use the hook for now.

Looks quite nice!

A block is more useful than a cleat on the mast. And I agree with the above post to forget about washing the sail. I also agree that 3/16" is the correct diameter for the halyard and it should be 'no-stretch'. The sheet can be anything you want. I use a thicker one for heavy air and a skinnier one for light air. Colors don't matter.

I am not a member of the RBSA (Dewey Beach), but I know that they are very welcoming. They run races almost every Saturday in the summer, I think, and you could learn a lot by just asking and sailing along, without actually racing. Rehoboth Bay Sailing Association, the premier sailing facility in Sussex County Delaware

There's another club with a Sunfish fleet in Lewes.

10/4 on the sail advice. I'm going to patch it this weekend. And 3/16" halyard; on the list.

I find "clubs" intimidating I guess. Especially Lewes.. RBSA seems like more my speed. Though I am near five points in Lewes - either is an easy destination. Thanks a bunch for the advice.

Absolutely, go sailing! Of course, make sure your lines are safe. Craig O’Bara on this forum can set you up with the proper diameter, etc. The sail doesn’t look bad and you’ve got the new style rudder- I love the green cockpit and all in all a great looking Sunfish!

Thanks BB. I'm stoked. I've been looking for a small sailboat for sometime and I'm itching to get out there.

The green cockpit appears to be original - it's all pretty smooth. BTW, The pics are from the CL ad.. it's done nothing but rain since I bought it.

And 3/16" halyard; on the list. I find "clubs" intimidating I guess. Especially Lewes.. RBSA seems like more my speed. Though I am near five points in Lewes - either is an easy destination. Thanks a bunch for the advice. Thanks BB. I'm stoked. I've been looking for a small sailboat for sometime and I'm itching to get out there. The green cockpit appears to be original - it's all pretty smooth. BTW, The pics are from the CL ad.. it's done nothing but rain since I bought it.
I wouldn't go to any smaller diameter halyard—you'll need gloves! :confused:

Waitaminnit! :cool:

A friend told me that some lines can routinely be made smaller by removing a strand. This would be helpful to have the last 10 feet a smaller diameter, to pass through the mast top easier. :)

Last edited:
RBSA is way more 'low key' than the Lewes Yacht Club. I have sailed at both.
The Lewes Club has a VERY long membership waiting list; not so at RBSA.

I can introduce you to my Sunfish friend at RBSA (or another friend at the LYC) ; just send me a PM.

With any double braid line, you can pull out the core, to reduce overall diameter. Sometimes used on larger boats on the jib furling line. Smaller diameter to go around the furling drum and not fill the drum up prematurely...and a larger size on the "gripping" area for better hand holds.
Something similar could be done on the halyard line as well.

Wow, that is a really nice looking ‘74! We just bought our first Sunfish - a 1977 - yours looks to be much nicer, as does your trailer (ours came with a quality “Montgomery Ward” trailer with the original paperwork!). I’m in Arizona, and Sunfish are rare out here - I’ve been sailing a Catalina 22 in our local yacht club for about 6-years, and I’ve seen only ONE Sunfish. So, when one recently popped up on Craigslist, we jumped on it. It’s technically my wife’s boat; but we’ll see about that!

My original sail was shot, so I bought a new “cheapie” sail from Neil Pryde - outstanding customer service with the order (really impressed), and very affordable ($150) ... but, it’s not “class approved”, so if you’re going to race in a local club against other Sunfish (one design racing), either patch your sail, or man-up for the official class-sanctioned sail, made by North (I have a new North mainsail on my C-22 and LOVE it!). I also purchased a new low stretch, doesn’t absorb water, halyard ($25) and a new mainsheet ($20) along with a few other odds and ends from SunfishDirect - free shipping. Yeah, maybe a little pricey, but not unreasonable - and easy-peezy for me. One and done ... Our local sailboat chandlery here closed about a year ago, so I’m forced to either shop at our local West Marine or online now. Sail and lines arrive this week, and we hope to take her out for the first time next weekend.

My sister has a house in Slaugher Beach and I was hoping to visit her this summer (didn’t work out) and do some sailing on the Delaware Bay. My Arizona Yacht Club membership gets me into other yacht clubs for dockage, or a drink and dinner, so I checked out the local options. Some real nice clubs there - Lewes looks very nice! Not sure if this is an option for you - my sister (who doesn’t sail, but is involved with local activities) said that the Slaughter Beach Sail Club (SBSC) is very low-key and laid back, and with lots of Sunfish. I’ve also read that Sunfish racing is a bit less serious than some of the other one-design groups, so give it a try. I like club racing - our club is great, and the competition is fun, and it improves my sailing skills. We’re pretty laid back out here in Arizona, and we have some really great sailors in the club. SBSC may be worth looking into. Here’s a link: July 4th Regatta Update - Slaughter Beach - Sussex County Delaware

Congratulations on the Sunfish - she a looker! Have fun on the water.

Barnicle Bob and others:
Many Sunfish fleets on the East Coast are not fussy about 'class-legal' issues. The idea being the more, the merrier. But at Regionals and above (Nationals etc) one is expected to sail 'legal'.

Thanks Wavedancer. Happy to hear that! Couldn’t agree more .... MORE is definitely better! Perhaps next summer I’ll be able to make it to Delaware to visit my sister ... and maybe I’ll bring along my Sunfish to do some sailing!

Thanks for all the replies. I spent the day taking care of some rigging and shopping around a little bit. I have a WM close by and they have a price match policy that I'm using for a few items. I purchased a fid set today at competitors prices, no hassle. I'm trying for a halyard tomorrow, we'll see.

Yeah I know the Lewes club has a like a (no joke) ten year wait list - and I'm not even sure I can afford the wait list. I'm hoping to use Rehoboth Bay for the most part, launching from the public beach(es) - I know the inland bays pretty well. I'm just used to being in a kayak.

I had no idea Slaughter Beach had a club - I haven't been out there is a long time. I'll keep an eye on it, and may have to take a road trip and see what public launch facilities exist. You should definitely bring your boat to the east coast BB - that would be awesome.

L&VW, I've run a 3/16" line up and down a dozen times today and no doubt any thinner I would need to consider gloves. A lot of new style sailing lines remind me of Power Pro (fishing line).. that stuff will take a finger if you aren't careful. Anyhow, I think I'm getting a real halyard tomorrow - I've been using nylon hardware store line to get things fit together. Prob some NE sta-set.

My fish has the small block adjacent to the mast on deck, and the small (4" maybe?) cleat. No fairlead. I've been rigging the halyard down the mast, thru the block, and onto the cleat. Then from the cleat, I've been going up and over the gooseneck, and back to the cleat. Does this sound right?

In general, does the sunfish "halyard" also get used as a "vang" on the back end? I think I want a cleat on the mast for the halyard and take some of the tension off the deck block and clear space on the deck cleat... Is the mast cleat standard on modern sunfish models?

One more Q: the centerboard.. is adjustable? Does the water pressure while under sail keep it in the "up" position while running? It doesn't appear that my cboard has any range of adjustment while on the trailer. Only "in." There is resistance at the bow spring, but that's it. I'm not sure I understand the way it's supposed to work..

Looking forward to getting on the water, and really happy I am taking the time to upgrade the running rigging. It was beat. And the sail should be OK - I used some heavy tape and though it looks kind of ghetto, it'll get the job done. Dear Santa..

You wedge it forward or backward to keep it up. Others use a
bungee cord. You'll have to ask others if the fiberglass racing board is
wedge-able without a bungee. I'm thinking not so much.

I use a larger uphaul line simple because it's a lot easier on the hands.

Mast cleat is a huge help but you still need to run the tail end of the uphaul
through the pulley and secure to the deck cleat. Keeps the mast from falling
out when you capsize.

Delaware,
the way you describe how you rig the halyard, you will have a vang.
PS: After running the halyard over the gooseneck, I run the line a second time through the fairlead. Not sure how this will go on an older boat with the little block.

On most of the Sunfish I've bought, I've had to cut the hitch that was on the spar. :mad:

For a halyard attachment to the upper spar, I've found this hitch (below) to be gentle on the spar, gentle where it touches the mast, and very easy to move. But check it before setting-out, because sometimes it'll slide by itself! :confused:

Tie a 6-inch "bowline", then run the loose end through it. Three-times through ought to do it. :)

Fullscreen capture 7302018 82250 AM.bmp.jpg

Geezer vs. Racing Rigs

Last edited:
Mast cleat is a huge help but you still need to run the tail end of the uphaul
through the pulley and secure to the deck cleat. Keeps the mast from falling
out when you capsize.

I was under the impression the "vang" end of the halyard (going over the gooseneck) was the mast keeper, but I see your point that the simple rig (mast head > deck block > deck cleat) would also keep the rig together in a capsize. It's also clear that's how my fish was meant to be sailed (I guess the gooseneck just "locks in" as the sail fill?). However, I like the idea (I'm an OCD engineer BTW) of having the rigging "separated" by the in-line cleat (on the mast).

On most of the Sunfish I've bought, I've had to cut the hitch that was on the spar. :mad:

For a halyard attachment to the upper spar, I've found this hitch (below) to be gentle on the spar, gentle where it touches the mast, and very easy to move. But check it before setting-out, because sometimes it'll slide by itself! :confused:

Tie a 6-inch "bowline", then run the loose end through it. Three-times through ought to do it. :)

View attachment 27287

Geezer vs. Racing Rigs

There was a 20+ year old hitch on my spar I thought for sure wasn't going to budge. Opened right up like it was tied yesterday (it was tied really cleanly).

Delaware,
the way you describe how you rig the halyard, you will have a vang.
PS: After running the halyard over the gooseneck, I run the line a second time through the fairlead. Not sure how this will go on an older boat with the little block.

It doesn't really work at all. I end up using the cleat twice, and the vang is at a bad angle (cleat to gooseneck). It also means the halyard end of the line is beneath the vang on the cleat. I don't like it.

Hey gang I finally made it out this weekend. Went to Dewey beach Saturday and started the day with winds less than ten, ended up around 15 I figure. Good day for a beginner and I did ok (my sail sucks upwind). I added a block to the cockpit, replaced the halyard and sheet, and installed a mast cleat.

Enjoyed light wind sailing in the morning when my weight kept me level, and got to do some leaning with the afternoon gusts. Plenty of (frightened) giggles; fun stuff. I'm ready for my next trip.

No action pics. Next time!

IMG_20180824_115045830_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180825_121905678~2.jpg

Back