New owner has a rigging question

kentth

As I am getting used to my new boat, I have come across a couple of questions. First of all I discovered that the boat is supposed to have a Cunningham. I have the book and it appears that is to be rigged on a block on the port side and passed back thru the Cunningham Grommet to the cam cleat on the starboard side. Is that correct or is it just a 3' line that goes from one cam cleat on the port side to the starboard side with out a block? I am not really clear how this is rigged.

I also have another line the is coming down from the top of the mast and I assumed that it was used to hold the stern end of the boom up, but reading the book I see there is supposed to be a Jib Haylard Pennent. I am guessing that is what this line is. If that is correct, what does it attach to.

Having a lot of fun with the boat, just trying to figure out all the particulars. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kent

Kent - Glad that you are enjoying the boat. They are great boats.

The Cunningham on my boat had a knot on end and the line passed through the hole on the gooseneck then up and passes through the sail and back down to the clam cleat on the starboard side of the mast.

As for the line from the top of the mast, if it is actually coming from the "top" of the mast then I would say it is a topping lift for the boom. These boats are fractional rigged and the jib halyard pennent is located just below the forestay.

http://www.geocities.com/chrismfoy/pg6-7.jpg

Fair Winds

Brad
Capri 14.2 #1108

The block rig may be to loop the jib halyard through to get a 2:1 purchase for adjusting the jib underload. My black was attached to the jib halyard at a point where went the jib is up, the block is ttwo feet above the cleat, you lead the halyard through the eye in the cleat back up to the block and figure jammed or figure eighted back at the cleat.
Bob

Thanks for the replies. My boat did not come with a block for the jib halyard, but the book I got with the boat shows one.

How to rig the cunningham make sense, I now need to get a 3' + piece of 5/16" line. The pictures in the book don't make sense.

I have been using the line from the top of the mast as a boom topping lift, but I wasn't really sure that was correct, especially after looking at some pictures of rigged boats and they don't show a boom topping lift.

Again thank for the information.

Kent

Back