New owner 1984 Capri 14.2

The previous owner used the forestay deck attachment bracket to attach his winch hook to winch the boat onto the trailer. Is that bracket strong enough to continue to do that? Do any owners install a bow eye for the winch? Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the Baby Bob mast float ( length and diameter) Is there an easier way to attach the forestay to its bracket than the pin with hole and split ring? My rudder shows rust spots on the surface that appear to be coming from internal structure. The rudder appears to be in good shape with no bulges or other apparent problems, so should I be concerned or just give it a coat of paint and call it good? I need to make a new hatch door and refinish the teak but otherwise the boat seems to be great shape! Thanks

The previous owner used the forestay deck attachment bracket to attach his winch hook to winch the boat onto the trailer. Is that bracket strong enough to continue to do that? Do any owners install a bow eye for the winch? Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the Baby Bob mast float ( length and diameter) Is there an easier way to attach the forestay to its bracket than the pin with hole and split ring? My rudder shows rust spots on the surface that appear to be coming from internal structure. The rudder appears to be in good shape with no bulges or other apparent problems, so should I be concerned or just give it a coat of paint and call it good? I need to make a new hatch door and refinish the teak but otherwise the boat seems to be great shape! Thanks
Have you checked the space between the inner and outer hulls for leaks. The lower drain plug on the transom drains this space. Check for seawater and /or rainwater. Float for a while then retrieve and check drain. Imitate rain on land, then check drain. Long term water in this closed space could rot inaccessible wood cockpit floor supports. Open drain periodically to keep this space dry and check for excessive leakage.
Hope all is well,
Happy New Year,
Bill

My Mod 1 has that bracket also. When I bought it 6 years ago it had been over torqued and the 2 aft screws had partially pullled out. I re-set them with epoxy and everything has held fine since. Yes, you must be mindful that it's not as strong as Mod's 2+3 bow eye setup. The rope angle is inferior because it pulls down on the boat rather than pulling straight level from a bow eye setup to the winch like the newer version. Just crank the rope until you're close to the end, then lift the bow and yank it to the stop. The swing keel Capri is light enough to do this. Then tighten line just enough to hold boat tight and secure. I though about installing a bow eye in mine, then decided it wasn't worth it.
As far as attaching the forestay, I just initially attach with a loose setting on the pin. That makes it easier to secure initially. Then take your jib halyard and attach to the other hole, put some (not too much) pressure on it and tie off on mast cleat. That allows you to go a few holes lower with the forestay, making for a tighter rig. Then undo your halyard and you're done. I've got this down to a drill that is a no brainer.
As a dedicated singlehander, the Capri is about the largest open cockpit boat that I would want to work with.
Cheers!

Have you checked the space between the inner and outer hulls for leaks. The lower drain plug on the transom drains this space. Check for seawater and /or rainwater. Float for a while then retrieve and check drain. Imitate rain on land, then check drain. Long term water in this closed space could rot inaccessible wood cockpit floor supports. Open drain periodically to keep this space dry and check for excessive leakage.
Hope all is well,
Happy New Year,
Bill
There has been no sign of water between the hull and floor and everything feels solid.

Back