New old laser 1 project!

Eric Miller

this past week I started to assess my father's '78 laser and not surprisingly found the same issues everyone finds on these! I am absolutely new to boat repair, so I've been reading through the posts and am encouraged by all the help and support this forum provides.
My first question is whether I should take the deck completely off the hull. I would need to separate the daggerboard, drain and transom points and I would need to learn this and would prefer less work over more, of course. The boat is largely in good condition: the deck/seat area is solid on both sides, as are the cockpit areas. What's the likelihood I'll find more damage to repair? This boat overall is 44 years old, but it has gotten really very little use over the years. But maybe it's worth taking the deck off in order to maximize the deck-hull seal when re-attaching with fiberglass resin. curious to know any thoughts you experienced laser people have on this boat!
I will need to create a supply list and have it delivered in order to maximize my work-time on it, I get up here for only a week or two at a time.
thanks in advance for any help you might have,
Eric

Attachments

• IMG_2048.jpg
    IMG_2048.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 99
  • 082022sterntobowdeckshot.jpg
    082022sterntobowdeckshot.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 105
  • 082022cockpit.jpg
    082022cockpit.jpg
    955 KB · Views: 94
  • 082022daggerboardsleeve.jpg
    082022daggerboardsleeve.jpg
    611.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 082022deckhullsplitbow.jpg
    082022deckhullsplitbow.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 95
  • portgunwale1.jpg
    portgunwale1.jpg
    859.6 KB · Views: 100
  • portgunwale2.jpg
    portgunwale2.jpg
    651.3 KB · Views: 86
  • starboardgunwale1.jpg
    starboardgunwale1.jpg
    481.3 KB · Views: 80
  • starboardgunwale2.jpg
    starboardgunwale2.jpg
    867.9 KB · Views: 79
  • starboardhullgunwalefull.jpg
    starboardhullgunwalefull.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 91
  • 082022maststepinsidebig.jpg
    082022maststepinsidebig.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 90
  • 082022maststepinsidedetail.jpg
    082022maststepinsidedetail.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
  • 082022maststepoutside1.jpg
    082022maststepoutside1.jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 082022maststepoutside2.jpg
    082022maststepoutside2.jpg
    619.5 KB · Views: 93
Hello Eric, I have picked up a few old lasers with similar issues. Did you get any responses to your post?

What is the end game with this project? So your Dad or you can go sailing? To Sell? I personally believe that everyone has to figure things out for themselves, and I am the first one to say "you should try it" or "try to fix it first" even if you have never done so. However, some boats take more time to fix and repair than what they are worth. I get it, it's a long winter in Maine, there is sentimental value, and pride to restoring an older boat. I restored my father's laser, but I only needed to worry about the mast step. Maybe it is a good thing that your deck has separated, might make repairing the mast step/tube easier than through a 5" diameter opening. I don't have experience with repairing the deck to the tub, seems like a simple epoxy/glue layup. Lots of videos and posts all over the web should provide you with enough knowhow to tackle it. I wouldn't take the deck completely off for the reasons you mention and all of the contact points with the mast step and daggerboard. All of the cosmetic scratches and dings in your photos are easy fixes of either epoxy or gelcoat, just as long as they don't leak water, should be fine. Main areas to focus are the mast step and reattaching the deck correctly.
If I had this boat, I would not repair it due to time, money and a lot of what I think would be...time. It also seems like a 2 person job with the deck, and I wouldn't even attempt it unless I had a lot of time, and a friend that was interested in helping. Now that it is (call it) winter in Maine, the window to use epoxy and resins is short, unless you have a temperature controlled area to work, which leaves little time to get it completed and go sailing. Just my .02 cents. Post updates, curious on the progress.

Last summer I managed to acquire 3 older lasers, all needing various repairs. I appreciated the pics. I also have a Sonar I want to redo the bottom on so who knows when I will get to the lasers. Good luck

From my experience on sunfish, if you need to break through more of the epoxy bond from deck to hull I used a corner of a putty blade on one of those vibrating tools. It broke up the epoxy without hurting the glass.

I used Thixo and spring clamps. I used some cut up tubing on the deck side to get the clamping force between the deck top and the top of the curved part of the hull. Otherwise the clamps slide to the side.

Back