New Laser Performance Two Loop Bridle wears out after 3 hour sail

Repete

Sunfish1909
I just installed a "builder provided" two loop bridle / traveler this past Sunday prior to a great day of sailing. I replaced a homemade two-loop bridle to become class legal for an upcoming regatta. The new white vinyl on the bridle looked thin or milky. After three to four hours of heavy wind sailing, two wear spots have appeared at the two points where the bowline mainsheet stays on each tack. One side is showing bear cable. I am trying to contact Laser Performance regarding a return/exchange. Can I tape over these areas and still be legal? My 1979 bridle had a thicker coating..... Has anyone successfully returned / exchanged failed equipment with Laser Performance?
Has anyone else had this happen with new equipment?

I just spoke with a representative at Laser Performance. There have been some issues with the new vinyl coated bridle / travelers. My situation falls under the warranty of the item. I will be receiving a new parts to replace the failed one from my original dealer. Maybe I should "pre-tape" this newer bridle with white electrical tape in those now known wear zones. Is tape on the bridle class legal?

I am stretching the use of tape elsewhere on the bridle.......... any replies to these class rules would be helpful, thank you.

3.7.6 Either one or both of the following bridles may be installed:
1. The wire bridle with a loop in the center, supplied by the Builder on older boats. The loop may be taped to one side to permit the mainsheet to slide the full length of the bridle.
2. The wire bridle without a loop in the center supplied by the Builder. The effective length of such bridle shall be 31 inches ± 1 inch (787.4mm ± 25.4mm) measured from eyestrap to eyestrap. The rope bridle, which was previously supplied by the Builder, is prohibited.​

I just spoke with a representative at Laser Performance. There have been some issues with the new vinyl coated bridle / travelers. My situation falls under the warranty of the item. I will be receiving a new parts to replace the failed one from my original dealer. Maybe I should "pre-tape" this newer bridle with white electrical tape in those now known wear zones. Is tape on the bridle class legal?
I wouldn't worry too much about that issue; class members are pretty forgiving, but I wouldn't put anything on your new bridle. It should last a good number of races. Mine has (it's about five years old and has been used in more than fifty races)!

Thanks for the link. The three loop bridle is no longer allowed in class sailing. One can tape over the middle loop and keep your bowline to the port side. I sailed this way for a while. Second, this replacement part does not say it is class legal equipment provided by the builder ( which now is Laser Performance). This still look like a good product for recreational sailing. Thanks.

The three loop bridle I ordered from West Coast Sailing was builder supplied. It had the Laser Performance logo on the packaging and said it was a Sunfish class legal part.

Who knows, maybe it was an new old stock part that was manufactured before the class rules changed.

The three loop bridle ....... maybe it was an new old stock part that was manufactured before the class rules changed.

Either bridle - three loop or two - can be used. Both are class-legal.

At our club one or two long-timer regulars still race with homemade rope bridles. No one ever has ever said anything because they look like they have them at the prescribed 31 inch length and they clearly are not even dreaming of cheating. For most people you race against, the issue is 'intent', and it's usually obvious. That said, I'd always use the class wire bridles myself to avoid any appearance of stretching the rules.

Especially in really light air venues - and on port tack - some sailors prefer using a middle loop. The Sunfish Bible, p228, includes some discussion. But most top sailors you see these days just use the 2 loop bridles.

Back