new laser aproved blades

Cenutrio

Anybody tired them?

They appear to be more durable, is this right?

I'm getting a new boat in europe and i wish i could get them because i expend lot's of time sailing and spain and the heat really damages (bending) old style blades.

Thanks

I must have missed something (or more likely, I'm just being very slow). What are these new approved blades ? I've looked through the International Laser Class Assn site, US Class Association Site, French Site, Vanguard web site, Performance Sailcraft site and can find nothing about them anywhere.

Ian

A manufacturer in Australia is making class approved fibre glass blades. I saw a set last weekend. Apparently they are slightly heavier than the originals and much stiffer. They don't have the metal stiffening inserts and are a brown colour as they are not painted or coated at all.
Other more experienced sailors were discussing them and suggesting the stiffer centre board is good but that the rudder may be too stiff. They felt it was more prone to stalling and that a slightly flexible rudder would be better.
I think all new lasers is Australia are being supplied with them as standard.

Sorry I can't find an online Aust dealer with pictures or detailed description but I know these guys are supplying them ....
www.boatinghardware.com

Change that - here's a picture ...http://www.lasersailing.com.au/index.html

... but maybe they're made in UK ??

A manufacturer in Australia is making class approved fibre glass blades. I saw a set last weekend. Apparently they are slightly heavier than the originals and much stiffer. They don't have the metal stiffening inserts and are a brown colour as they are not painted or coated at all.
Other more experienced sailors were discussing them and suggesting the stiffer centre board is good but that the rudder may be too stiff. They felt it was more prone to stalling and that a slightly flexible rudder would be better.
I think all new lasers is Australia are being supplied with them as standard.

Sorry I can't find an online Aust dealer with pictures or detailed description but I know these guys are supplying them ....
www.boatinghardware.com

Change that - here's a picture ...http://www.lasersailing.com.au/index.html

... but maybe they're made in UK ??

These blades were discussed in the "From the Builder" column in the Winter issue of The Laser Sailor. With respect to the above statement the important point is "The blades do meet the Laser Class specs, and specifically the shape, weight and flex of the boards is identical the existing PPL Crompton foam blades..." (italics mine).

I'll admit that I am too lazy to search right now... but these blades have already been discussed here as well.

I saw Evi van Acker, worlds nr 1 in the radial sailing them this weekend, still sailing very fast, i believe she won hyeres with them to, i think the sailor will still be the main issue. Looking great those blades, saddly again verry expensive and only available in australia.

I don't think they are talking about putting sail #'s on the blades, I would think it is a serial # system.

Numbering guns and cars doesn't stop them from being stolen, having the numbers removed or changed, can't see the need for Laser blades.

These composite blades are available in the US, but the finish is white.

From the 2007 APS catalog:
V20096 Rudder blade $210
V20097 Daggerboard $450

Considerably more expensive than the 'classic' version!

I'm a big fan of some variability in the rigging, but I don't know about this. Multiple blade options, carbon fiber spars, this is getting away from even my definition of "one design". I guess Mylar sails are coming next? Welcome to the world of Olympic class sailing.

Was there any reason for updating these besides performance. I can understand if there was a rash of blades breaking or something, but I doubt that is the case.

I should have solid daggerboard and rudder prototypes ready around June 14th. Because they will not be class approved this summer they will be for sale much cheaper than any others on the market as practice blades. Daggerboards running approx. $250 with a 35% discount on shipping. Let you guys know when they are ready

Cheers!
John

I'm a big fan of some variability in the rigging, but I don't know about this. Multiple blade options, carbon fiber spars, this is getting away from even my definition of "one design". ....

Was there any reason for updating these besides performance? I can understand if there was a rash of blades breaking or something, but I doubt that is the case.

In the "From the Builder" column in the annual Laser mag, the reason discussed was durability. Not necessarily breaking in half (though there is that) but chips, cracks, etc...

I recently bought an older laser off a guy with 7/8 of a rudder.

Here is an interesting claim from an Australian Laser dealer

"Latest News:
New Fiberglass foils for your laser!

Be the first at your club with the ability to sail faster and higher with the latest in laser technology."

V20096 Rudder blade $210
V20097 Daggerboard $450

FYI: Vanguard notified us shortly after hitting the press with the catalog that delivery of these would be delayed. Original indications were such that we'd see them in early May. Last we heard was that they're now looking at "mid to late summer '07".

Here is an interesting claim from an Australian Laser dealer

"Latest News:
New Fiberglass foils for your laser!

Be the first at your club with the ability to sail faster and higher with the latest in laser technology."
That would make them illegal then? How did they get that claim past the rule makers?

Speaking of old rudders not being stiff enough, mine developed a crack at the leading edge where it joins the rudder head. A flexible rudder wouldn't have cracked.

V20096 Rudder blade $210
V20097 Daggerboard $450

So let me see if I have this right.

There has been a change in material so that it is the foils are more durable (apparently) and more expensive (seems definetly)but no change in performance (apparently). Which we did not vote on and which seems to have just "appeared".

But with a carbon fibre top section, which, as I understand it, will be more durable, more expensive with no change on performance (apparently, I say this as they are looking to mimic the performance of aluminium - I suppose just like mimicing the performance of the old foils) BUT this must be voted on and will take years of testing etc etc.

What is the story and I missing something or does the ILCA just pick and choose what goes to a vote?

I don't know who made the claim "Latest News:
"New Fiberglass foils for your laser!

Be the first at your club with the ability to sail faster and higher with the latest in laser technology.
"
But I cannot find it on the Aus PSE (manufacturers) web site. In fact they say how they are manufactured to the strict guidelines of the Laser Class Association. Is this just some "daft dealer" who is not really aware of what a One Design actually is looking to sell a few or is it somebody who really does know about performance, etc. ?

I understood that the Radial carbon (composite) top section did represent a change in performance in that is is a bit bendier and thus de-powers faster as the wind increases and thus would help "even out" the effects of different crew weight.

Ian

As far as I was told, these foils are just more durable, which look great with a near timber finsh. I was shown them just after they were released by one of our laser suppliers.

There just a different colour anyway, boats change colour from time to time.
As far as I know if I order a new boat, it will come with them.

I've had to fix 2 rudder blades last season because of cracks in the heads, and others have had to reshape there brand new center boards because they were flat on one side. :(

Sometimes no matter what you do, boats and parts are not always identical. I put it down to quality control or something like that.

Anyway, I'm always last, I just like shiny things.:D

I'm no expert on the class rules (and don't want to be), but they may allow for some variability in the board material as long as the shape is not changed. Remember, they used to be made out of wood.

Back