New ILCA Builders

PMADONNA

I am looking at new boats, i just wanted feedback on the boats from PSA, Ovington and E6. I'm in Philadelphia, PA so they are all available to me.

There was a discussion about this here or maybe Dinghy Anarchy. Three suppliers provided boats to the last Worlds and a mix from the 3 mfrs ended up towards the front so the mfr did not seem to make a difference. Can’t recall which the 3 builders were, but you should be able to find out if you Google a bit.

Three suppliers provided boats to the last Worlds
The boats at last year's ILCA 6 (formerly Radial) Worlds all had Ziegelmayer stickers on them, so I presumed if they were the provider, then the boats were most likely built by Element 6. If there was a mix, then the other two were Ovington and Devoti. Ziegelmeyer's website subtly but clearly shows what they think the order is. The Devoti is priced at 440 € less than the other two; interestingly they also offer (but don't talk about) a Nautivela at 515 or 575 € (depending on the rig) further down the scale. That PSA is nowhere to be seen is probably explained by ZM's continuing LP dealership.

_

I didn’t look to find the analysis of the results
I did it myself (thanks for the link!). Top ten:

1. Devoti
2. Devoti
3. Ovington
4. Ovington
5. Devoti
6. Devoti
7. Nautivela
8. Nautivela
9. Nautivela
10. Ovington

Instead of "fairly even", I'd say that was a fairly clear "victory" for Devoti, especially as the top two had a huge point margin over the rest.

_

I did it myself (thanks for the link!). Top ten:

1. Devoti
2. Devoti
3. Ovington
4. Ovington
5. Devoti
6. Devoti
7. Nautivela
8. Nautivela
9. Nautivela
10. Ovington

Instead of "fairly even", I'd say that was a fairly clear "victory" for Devoti, especially as the top two had a huge point margin over the rest.

_
I would hope that the sailor had some influence on the final results, and the winners were not just riding aboard fast boats that whisked them to victory. The fact there were 4 Devotis, 3 Ovingtons and 3 Nautivelas in the top 10 seems pretty even. BTW a statistician would cringe at trying to draw conclusions from this one regatta. Despite that, looking at the bottom 20 could perhaps be enlightening too.

At the 2020 Olympics, the winning Laser was way ahead of the competition, and all boats were from the same manufacturer, so the fact that the top 2 in the Worlds were way ahead of the competition is not necessarily unusual. Again, I go back to the statistician cringing - we don't have enough data, but at least all 3 mfrs had as equal as possible a number of boats in the top 10.

The fact there were 4 Devotis, 3 Ovingtons and 3 Nautivelas in the top 10 seems pretty even. BTW a statistician would cringe at trying to draw conclusions from this one regatta.
Well, most sailors of course treat statistics like lay people in general, giving undue weight to single events. That's why I put "victory" in quotes :rolleyes:
The ILCA technical committee naturally likes the 4-3-3, but I don't think Luca Devoti is exactly unhappy, either. Win-win :D

_

Back