new here and to sailing and looking for a boat

Danny

To start off i would like to say hi and introduce myself. My name is Danny and I am new to sailing. I am 15. I have took sailing classes and want to get my own boat. I would do most of my sailing on Lake Michigan. Here in Indiana there are a lot of sailboats but almost no sailors. There is tons of hobie cats but i have only seen one that someone sails and a prindle 16. There are 2 lasers but only 1 sailor. there are 3 sunfish sailors. About half a mile down there are like 20 hobie cats just sitting there on the beach. There is also a force five for sale not to far away from here. There is a new sunfish made by laser im sure i could snag cheap. So the question is which to buy? possibly laser, hobie cat 16/14, force five, or sunfish?

If you want to race than you should pick a boat that is being raced in your area. If just sailing and by your self, can't go wrong with the Sunfish or Laser. Force 5 is good as well, but if you don't weigh a lot, has a lot of sail area and harder to handle than the Sunfish. Hobie cats are fun, but the 14 and 16 require careful sailing in waves as the lee bow wants to dig into the water. Not as easy to transport as the other boats as well.

Back