New Harken Laser Traveler Blocks

Just Changed Mine :mad: Shame :/ they look like they're better and probably will be much better than the holt ones

OK, I can see the advantage of replacing the traveler sister blocks with the one-piece unit that won't twist. But what would be the advantage of replacing the boom blocks? I guess they'd be lower friction?

that's the thought... that the friction will be lower and you'll see a difference in light wind when you ease off at the weather mark.

I replace the current blocks frequently... so my question is the durability going to be able to make up for the doubling of the price?

If you look at the actual APS catalog page, the new blocks are listed at $96. If you go back to the December LaserWorld report on the TMC meetings you will see that we were originally told "around $90", so the retail price is a bit higher than we were told but still within range.

If you also go to, again using APS as the example since they seem to have started this thread, if you go to APS pages and price out the cost of the current traveller blocks, plus the "kits" for the bullet and becket blocks for the boom, the total comes out to $75.11 for the equivalent to what you are buying with the new blocks.

So, for approximately $20 more you get lower friction, removal of a big headache (having to tape the traveller blocks), better durability and, by far the most important, something that looks cool.

... So, for approximately $20 more you get lower friction, ...
Hi

The 4 old Holt-blocks do cost togehter about 40 Euro (about 56 US$) at GER.
At APS online, I did quick count together the 4 prices for the blocks (-kits) they offer them and I got 77,27 US$ (55,15 Euro).

So, for me it definitely will be interesting how much more the new blocks will cost at (Continental-)Europe. If it is significantly much more than +20 US$ (+14 Euro), I let you know here.

However, I definitely change to the new blocks ASAP. For me, SFBayLaser is correkt in his opinion.

Ciao
LooserLu

Hi

Okay, the new blocks are offered online at APS already. Someone trustful just did tell me here, f.e. our Laser dealer at Hamburg not is able to offer them now.

Would be nice, if the builders get a kick of the ILCA to accelerate the delivering to the official Laser dealers ASAP, thanks.

Why?

Well, at July 09th to 16th the ILCA-Europeans for the Radials at Charlottenlund/Denmark are hold (view www.laserinternational.org) and also: at GER at July 10th -12th the Int. Open Masters GER at lovely Lake Brombach/Bavaria (http://www.wsgr.info/Regatten/Regatten2009.htm http://www.brombachsee.com/).

Would be nice if the new blocks would be in use at several competing boats already for that events, wouldn't it?

Ciao
LooserLu

I would just like 2 get the traveler blocks and not the boom blocks. i see no need to replace mine but i would like 2 replace that stupid s-hook blocks.I wonder if they did enough testing on that before they put it in production.

I would just like 2 get the traveler blocks and not the boom blocks. i see no need to replace mine but i would like 2 replace that stupid s-hook blocks.I wonder if they did enough testing on that before they put it in production.

They did the same thing with the rigging upgrades a few years ago. Complete kits were available first, but it was several months until you could buy individual pieces.

Hi

The 4 old Holt-blocks do cost togehter about 40 Euro (about 56 US$) at GER.
At APS online, I did quick count together the 4 prices for the blocks (-kits) they offer them and I got 77,27 US$ (55,15 Euro).

So, for me it definitely will be interesting how much more the new blocks will cost at (Continental-)Europe. If it is significantly much more than +20 US$ (+14 Euro), I let you know here.

However, I definitely change to the new blocks ASAP. For me, SFBayLaser is correkt in his opinion.

Ciao
LooserLu

Hi again

Related to this two replies in the same thread:

http://www.laserforum.org/showpost.php?p=127899&postcount=7
http://www.laserforum.org/showpost.php?p=127905&postcount=8

like I promised you Tracy, I give my feedback to you here, if there is something for “not to be amused” about … View the official price here (and take your x-change calculator…):

http://www.laserklasse.de/dlas_mainpages/pdf_dateien/technik/NEU_HARKEN Travellerbloecke.pdf

Aft this read my PM, Tracy. I am so very disappointed about that matter, that I am not going to write any longer comment openly here at TLF to this.

Cheers
LooserLu

Having seen a few boats with them at the UK Nationals I'm still not impressed with them. Seem very expensive for a small perceived improvement (I say perceived as I actually see more problems with these than the old ones). I'll be sticking with the old style blocks for now.

Seem very expensive for a small perceived improvement (I say perceived as I actually see more problems with these than the old ones). I'll be sticking with the old style blocks for now.

I agree. I don't like/trust the old traveller blocks (having had one pair break apart on gybing in a F3 wind !!). I would get them but not at the price. Should I need to replace my existing ones then I might consider the new ones.

But I am interested if people are having the same problem Gov. mentioned.

Ian

I used them this past weekend at Nationals. I was quite happy with them. It was a lot easier to let the sail out downwind and it was great to play the sheet downwind above the block. Upwind I had no issues keeping the mainsheet in either.

Hi all,

I now have a shiny set of Harken blocks fitted to my boat. i have to say i am impressed with them so far. The line runs through them so much better than the old Holt blocks.

I do however notice the issue that they tend to creep along the traveller so they do not stay right over in the corner (I think AlanD or Gouv mentoned this).

Any bring ideas on how to prevent this? To be honest I have not noticed any diffeent to boat speed because of this yet but I am sure it is having an effect somewhere!

This could be because I tend to run less Vang tension than most (because i am little on the heavy side).

Aside from that (and the price, but that wqill slip down a little I reckon) I am impressed.

can you point as high with the new blocks only the old ones overlap each other slightly (if rigged correctly) where as these appear to be on top of each other????

can you point as high with the new blocks only the old ones overlap each other slightly (if rigged correctly) where as these appear to be on top of each other????

Short answer yes but they do have a tendancy to creep inboard so you need to put your foot on the boom to push them out.

I have found that in use they run a lot nicer than the old blocks. I certainly would not change back!

Back