New guy with questions

Hello Folks.
New guy on the forum. New capri owner. Picked up the Capri 14.2 that was on Ebay last week. Have only had the boat out one time but super happy with it so far. I am a former catamaran sailor but old age ( read not a teenager anymore) has slowed me down a bit. :) Just looking to do allot of day sailing and the occasional overnighter in the 10K islands here in south Florida.

Questions!

My boat is the "Mod 2" It has the little fiberglass cubby under the fore deck with the cloth bag cover. Is it possible to pull this cubby out and replace the cloth bag with a watertight hatch? Giving me more storage room under the fore deck?

Thinking of building some sort of boom vang to support the boom when the main is stored. Either that or a line from the stern end of the boom to the mast head. Somewhat concerned about going the line route as the roach(?) of the sail protrudes beyond a straight line from the end of the boom to the mast head. Not sure how that will effect the main when tacking.Just looking to keep the boom up out of the cockpit while the main is not up. Either while motoring out the channel or even possibly a simple boom tent at anchor in the future. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thats all I got for now!
Thanks in advance
Brad

Welcome to the group. I purchased a 14.2 two years ago and love it. I have a Model 2 as well and last spring I removed the "tunnel" and placed a small battery for my trolling motor under the deck just in front of the inner liner. I thought about leaving the tunnel out and replacing it with a hatch but I put the "tunnel" back in. I could not find a waterproof hatch that would fit that had a large enough opening. Some people have made very nice custom hatches but I was concerned that I could not make one that was water tight. The hatch must be water tight because when, not if, you capsize and the hatch is not water tight the hull of the boat will fill with water. That is VERY bad. You can search this forum for "hatch" and you will see what others have done.
As for the boom lift my boat has the line from the end of the boom to the top of the mast and it works very nice. The line is long enough that it is out of the way when the sail is up but holds up the boom when the sail is down. There are other boom supports on the market but the line works good and costs very little.
If your boat does not have a roller furling jib I would suggest adding one. I added one last year and it works great. When I come into the dock I can roll up the jib and it is out of the way.
Again you can search this forum for any of the above topics and get lots of great information on all of the topics. There are a lot of good people on this forum who have vast amounts of knowledge about the 14.2 and they are willing to share all of it. I have learned many things about the boat from this group.
Welcome to the group and if you have any questions ASK you will receive lots of information.

Good luck with your new boat :)

Roger

Thank you Roger. Spent several hours last night reading thru the posts after searching for "hatch" Time well spent.

I do have the roller furling jib and it is a very nice addition.

Thanks again

Brad

Get a Boomkicker. It beats a topping lift hands down.
I made one for my Capri 14.2k, but bought a Boomkicker 1500 for my big boat.
Go to Boomkicker.com for pictures.
The Dragonfly pictured on the site is mine.
There's just no comparison in convenience, and you don't have any chafe on the mainsail.

Steve B.

Brad:
If you do decide to remove the "tunnel" send me a PM and I will tell you how I removed mine. It is not an easy task but with a few lessons learned it can save a broken flange or skuffed gelcoat.

Thanks
Roger

BoomKicker

I have a "boomkicker" on my boat, It is simply a flexible fiberglass structure that acts like a rigid boom vang when the sails are down and it does not effect anything when the sails are up. I think it works quite nicely and may be just what you are looking for.

http://www.boomkicker.com/

Thanks folks.
Boomkicker ordered and I now have some pretty detailed tips on pulling the tunnel from Roger. :)
When doing searches I also ran across several posts on installing a boarding ladder so that was ordered also.

BTW ebay has the boomkicker for 64.95 shipped.

Thanks again
Brad

swampdrummer said:
Thanks folks.
Boomkicker ordered and I now have some pretty detailed tips on pulling the tunnel from Roger. :)
When doing searches I also ran across several posts on installing a boarding ladder so that was ordered also.

BTW ebay has the boomkicker for 64.95 shipped.

Thanks again
Brad

Great, I hope it works out well for you. It sounds like a perfect solution in your situation.

Back