New guy help.

U

Unregistered

Hello, I just bought a 1989 Capri 14.2, and am new to sailing. I'd appreciate some help.
1) Is there a sailing instructional video specifically for the Capri 14.2? If not, what do you recommend?

2) I tired to remove the cuddy to reach behind to replace the bungee cord that extends under the hiking straps. After removing the 5 screws (which are also snaps for the cuddy cover) I found the cuddy is held in place by silicon. So now when i gently try to pry the cuddy out, I end up chipping the fiberglass. Is it supposed to be held in this way? What can I do?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Removing Mod 2 cuddy

The Mod 2 cuddy wasn't designed to be removed, but lots of people have done it anyway. Some are able to do it without damage, others, like you, have some problems. Any damage you do probably won't be serious, unless you use a real caveman approach to the problem. But you need to answer this question - how badly to do I need to take out this cuddy? I'd say yes, if it's to fix a leak or a structural problem, but replacing the bungee straps may not be all that urgent. When mine failed I just plugged the holes in the seat fronts and used a bungee cord (the kind with a hook in each end) around the mast to hold up the straps. The down side is it gets in the way. That's life - a series of compromises.

Video

PS - No there is no instructional video for the C-14.2. But you can order the Capri 14.2 Handbook as shown elsewhere on this website.

Try using a real thin putty knife to cut mots of the silicone before prying. That worked when I made my hatch cover. If you search this web, you can find at least three approaches to hatch covers.

Back