New england/ NH sailing.

Valculinchuk

Hi,
So i went by the reservoir i was hoping to learn to sail in in the spring, but they specifically prohibit sunfish's on the water there (too much chance for bodily contact with the water).

So i'm left a bit sad wondering where i should practice my sailing. Any general or location specific tips to choosing a spot to lean to sail my sunfish?

Eventually i would like to take it up to lake Champlain next summer and sail with my girlfriend on the lake with Champ!

Sounds like you were trying Lake Massabesic. Try the small lake over in Goffstown. There is a dam not far from the launch area but if your centerboard is down you won't go over the dam! Chris

Yeah it was Massabesic, great lake, stupid rules. I'm located in sothern NH, Nashua area. I was thinking of trying silver lake in hollis or lake Pontanipo in Brookline.

Have you considered Lake Winnipesaukee?
It's big as inlands go.
I'm over in Central Vt. I've got my sunfish parked at Lake Elmore where my family has a camp. The lake is small - 1/2m wide by 1m long but w/great winds.

Drive by Glen Lake in Goffstown and check it out. Beach for launching is on the northeast corner of the lake. Chris

I stopped sailing on Lake Winnipesaukee last month because the water is too cold. By next Spring, the water will be even colder!

I'd find a shallow lake (one that you could stand up in) without too much wind. A wetsuit would help.

Nearby Lake Wentworth has a shallow, sandy area near the State Park where there are still some Sunfish moored off shore. (North side, on Rt. 109). The NE prevailing wind would give you a choice of deep (or shallow) sailing; however, this time of year October winds can be fierce.

Patanapo is great, and the boat ramp is nice (it got washed out during a heavey rain this summer but just a big bump before the cement ties. As for a water staging area, there is not much, just a small 3'-4' beach area next to the fence. On the other side of the fence is the private beach club, don't go there, they pay to belong to it and don't much like intruders. Bring a paddle, (to get out past the swimming bouys). It is a small lake, and does get a bit of power boat traffic. It is probably the closest lake to Nashua. Silver lake, on the other hand looks private, except for the public beach, I have looked for a public launch, but haven't seen one yet.
I know that nashua is a bit far from the Monadnock area, but there are some nice small lakes all around Jaffrey/ Fitzwilliams area. Even Spoford lake(just west of Keene) is awsome. All depends on what you want for traval.
Good luck, I'm done for the season, but maybe I'll bump into ya next year.

Patanapo is great, and the boat ramp is nice (it got washed out during a heavey rain this summer but just a big bump before the cement ties. As for a water staging area, there is not much, just a small 3'-4' beach area next to the fence. On the other side of the fence is the private beach club, don't go there, they pay to belong to it and don't much like intruders. Bring a paddle, (to get out past the swimming bouys). It is a small lake, and does get a bit of power boat traffic. It is probably the closest lake to Nashua. Silver lake, on the other hand looks private, except for the public beach, I have looked for a public launch, but haven't seen one yet.
I know that nashua is a bit far from the Monadnock area, but there are some nice small lakes all around Jaffrey/ Fitzwilliams area. Even Spoford lake(just west of Keene) is awsome. All depends on what you want for traval.
Good luck, I'm done for the season, but maybe I'll bump into ya next year.

Back