New daggerboard

Trevor33

I want to make a new daggerboard and want to know if anyone has used Starboard™ to make one out of. IF not, what non-wood material should I use?

I'd use either African, or Central American mahogany. Make sure the growth rings run from left to right, not front to back.

Starboard probably isn't too heavy, but without some sort of internal stiffening like the plastic boards the flex under load would be a big problem.

After looking at the website, it appears that Starboard is a surface material that needs some support and not structural in nature. Starboard appears in many ways to be similar to Corian or other solid surface synthetic materials. I would be curious as to how strong Starboard is when used as a daggerboard, especially when attempting to right a SF after capsize. The pressure from the sailor putting his weight on a Starboard daggerboard in that situation may cause it to break. The wood daggerboards or the racing daggerboard (which is reinforced with steel rods) are able to withstand the pressure of righting after capsize. Another question would be impact resistance and ease of repair. Many solid surface materials are difficult to repair a break (minor nicks are just sanded and polished out). Good luck if you decide to try it.

Back