New Cuddy Door Pictures - Remove storage bin

Thread starter #1
The main reason I removed the storage bin in my boat (mod 2) was because the bow eye was literally falling out of the boat, and the canvas cover had seen better days. I also needed to rebuild some type of mast support as the original had cracked and rotted. After breaking the silicone seal I removed the bin and made repairs as necessary. Then I realized how much more space you have for storing things inside the bow. I decided to keep the bin out, and make a door. My design isn't the best, but it was inexpensive and fairly easy to do. However it may not be 100% water tight, I have not tested.
I cut a door out of finished plywood(something other than plywood probably works better), and a put heavy duty rubber weather strip around the outside of the inner door. I did not use a hinge on the bottom but metal support brackets that just hook inside the frame, and the top is secured with the lock bolts. I will add some more picts of the inside of the door if requested, but at least this may get some people started.
 

Attachments

#3
Bow eye

You mentioned a boweye on your boat. Could you give me the measurements from the deck? I have a mod 1 and would like to add one. I feel the old deck plate I use pulls to much down on the boat.
Carl
 
#5
RAVEX1049. Not broke, but can be improved..? That looks much better than the original flaky door! Marine plywood is fine for this work. North of the 49th. we have light summer winds in between howling Northers or Southers, Westers or Easters and I have worried about capsizing and flooding the cuddy, which is where I keep my lunch, not to mention the electric motor and stuff. Your door looks secure.Thanks for sharing it.
The main sheet traveller I installed works fine, though has a limited range. The boom vang sort-of takes over after traveller control is lost. No trapeze installed as yet, but hey, it will be. Why not? This is for fun isn't it?
 
Thread starter #6
The main reason I removed the storage bin in my boat (mod 2) was because the bow eye was literally falling out of the boat, and the canvas cover had seen better days.
I finally got the boat in the water this weekend, minus the sails and mast. I must say, having all that space in the front of the boat is very nice. I will add some inside pictures soon. I am thinking I need some kind of small chain or something so it catches the door when I open it. But it fits nicely inside the front of the boat as well. This boat hasn't seen water in 12+ years I think.
 
#8
nice job. That really does open up a considerable amount of space as compared to my bow-box.

Did you have to create a bulkhead on the inside to the underside of the cockpit? I believe I noticed a comment somewhere that the mod 3 was compartmentalized so that the cuddy was seperated by such a bulkhead from the rest of the boat.
 
Thread starter #9
I only built (using pressure treated decking) a new mast support, and bolted it to the existing vertical plywood pieces in the boat. My mast support was cracked badly on the outside and the wood support underneath had cracked and rotted. I plan to remove the 2x3 pieces in the top corners and use a metal corner bracket, but you can see the bolts/nuts sticking down from the mast support. Makes it tricky climbing in there. But there is no extra bulkhead, just additional support.
 
#10
in the cave

Good rebuild! With metal: unlike metals react and corrode. All C.14.2s must have problems with the cheap plywood used under the deck... your beefing up the mast support sounds like a good idea.
 
Top