New Capri owner, anchoring question

smmarcoe

Hello to the forum,
I just purchased a '91 Capri! I can't wait for it to warm up enough to take it sailing here in Central Oregon. I have a question, regarding being able to keep the boat in the water for a few days at a time. The lake that I am most interested in sailing this summer has rocky shores all around, so beaching is not really an option. I was wondering if it is okay to anchor the Capri in the water or will the hull take on water? I feel like I remember hearing that the type of hull plug that the Capri has is really only designed to keep water out while the boat is moving, it isn't designed to be watertight. Is this true? Does anyone have any experience with keeping the boat in the water?

Thanks,
Suzanne

If your boat takes on water I would say its coming from a crack or small hole or its coming in through the seam where the bottom hull is attached to the deck. Not through the drain plug.

I just bought a Capri and the previous Owner kept it all summer in a lake. Now I need to flip it over and clean the bottom tho.....

Good Luck

Thanks for the response. I haven't sailed the boat yet, so it was just a hypothetical question about the water-tightness of the drain plug. Glad to hear that I should be able to keep it in the water for a few days at a time.

And speaking of anchoring, I have an 8 lb mushroom anchor with 100' of 3/8" nylon line. Stored in a small bucket, coiled and ready to go. Feed line through a little hasp secured to the bow chainplate and it's easy to take a break if you're on the water! Take a swim or a nap, then back to sailing

Thanks for the reply aquaman! That reminds me of another question that I have, which is how to store the anchor in the cuddy. I was thinking of doing exactly what you said, using a bucket to store the anchor and line, but do you need to worry about it banging around in there if you capsize/turtle the boat? The boat came with a 6lb mushroom anchor, but I haven't used it yet because I'm still learning to sail the Capri (SO much harder than keelboat sailing) and I've been worried about it potentially banging around and doing damage.

Thanks for the reply aquaman! That reminds me of another question that I have, which is how to store the anchor in the cuddy. I was thinking of doing exactly what you said, using a bucket to store the anchor and line, but do you need to worry about it banging around in there if you capsize/turtle the boat? The boat came with a 6lb mushroom anchor, but I haven't used it yet because I'm still learning to sail the Capri (SO much harder than keelboat sailing) and I've been worried about it potentially banging around and doing damage.
See if you can picture this.... I installed a 3/4" ply horizontally between the vertical support boards that tie the deck to the hull. Inserted into that is a custom sized battery box that keeps my Odyssey 680 in place. Then I cut a slot a few inches back to receive the top eye of the anchor as it rests on the hull below. Installed a bolt latch to go through the eye of the anchor to keep it in place. Of course it's crucial to set the ply board at the proper height to make this all work. A few caveats here: 1. Don't leave the anchor in place like this when you're trailering, the bouncing action while on the road is not good. 2. Can't say what would happen if you capsize/turtle. I only bring my anchor along on light to no air air days. That's when I like to go out to the middle of the lake, drop anchor, and just get lazy, also jump in to cool off. Now the boarding ladder I installed is a whole new story.....
Like I say, when the wind's cranking enough to cause concern about boat control, just leave the anchor in the car!!

Back