New boats for our scouts to fix up

Mashmaster

We got 4 "new" hulls for my Sea Scouts to fix up. These are in interesting condition. They will learn fiberglass work, fairing, painting, and coaming repair. They will also learn to build new daggerboards, rudders, and tillers.

now, we need to start searching for sunfish parts to complete the boat, hoping we will find some abandoned/neglected masts/spars/sails.... Let me know if anyone is Texas has any.
IMG_20200817_192655.jpgIMG_20200817_191921.jpgIMG_20200817_191910.jpg-1969873073886956853 (1).jpg2171375329638699106 (1).jpg

Attachments

• -1969873073886956853.jpg
    -1969873073886956853.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 29
Looks like a good opportunity for those kids to learn some valuable skills... even if they never use those skills to earn money, they can SAVE heaps of money by knowing how to effect repairs on their own boats, should they ever become boat owners. :rolleyes:

Those holes I'm seeing in the hulls aren't that difficult to fix either, that large hole in the side of one boat is almost 'textbook' for instructional purposes: easy to fair out the edges, easy to get some backing in place, and let the kids mix a pot o' resin and start laying up glass, LOL. :cool:

Just curious, were those hulls donated, or didja buy 'em on the cheap? Some folks who didn't know any better would look at those hulls and think, "Meh, they're thrashed, not worth fixing." I look at 'em and I think, "Holy Toledo, we're gonna have a FLEET!!!" ;)

Good luck to y'all... this will also be an excellent opportunity to teach industrial safety to those kids: wearing protective gear while handling chemicals and dealing with toxic fumes & hazardous waste. Acetone is a good example, don't let those kids get any in their eyes... :confused:

Disposable latex gloves come in handy, while eye protection is mandatory, even if it only consists of cheap sunglasses (cue the ZZ Top tune). Trust me, you never want to get acetone into either eye... don't ask me how I know this, LOL. But the solvent has its uses, ya know? :D

Looks like a good opportunity for those kids to learn some valuable skills... even if they never use those skills to earn money, they can SAVE heaps of money by knowing how to effect repairs on their own boats, should they ever become boat owners. :rolleyes:

Agreed, it is a great skill set to have. Makes owning and operating a boat less scary and they feel ownership into the boats, they care more.

Those holes I'm seeing in the hulls aren't that difficult to fix either, that large hole in the side of one boat is almost 'textbook' for instructional purposes: easy to fair out the edges, easy to get some backing in place, and let the kids mix a pot o' resin and start laying up glass, LOL. :cool:

Yeah the should be too bad, instead of attempting to do a gel coat spray, we will glass the holes, use fairing compound, prime, and paint. I need to get the equipment to properly spray paint vs. rolling.

Just curious, were those hulls donated, or didja buy 'em on the cheap? Some folks who didn't know any better would look at those hulls and think, "Meh, they're thrashed, not worth fixing." I look at 'em and I think, "Holy Toledo, we're gonna have a FLEET!!!" ;)

They were donated. They were in this guys backyard, his kids trashed them and he only had the hulls. no masts, spars, rudders, daggerboard, sails, or lines.... Also had a copperhead snake in between them and wasp and hornet nests.... Agreed it is a fleet, it is also a lot of money to be spent to make the sailable between parts and repair materials. also need to covert a trailer to hold four hulls.

Good luck to y'all... this will also be an excellent opportunity to teach industrial safety to those kids: wearing protective gear while handling chemicals and dealing with toxic fumes & hazardous waste. Acetone is a good example, don't let those kids get any in their eyes... :confused:

Disposable latex gloves come in handy, while eye protection is mandatory, even if it only consists of cheap sunglasses (cue the ZZ Top tune). Trust me, you never want to get acetone into either eye... don't ask me how I know this, LOL. But the solvent has its uses, ya know? :D

Very good point, thanks

Back