New boat

Beekeeper

Just got a new addition to my fleet, a 1977 MFG copperhead. The boats in decent shape with a nice trailer underneath with bearing buddies and a new light kit,$300. Way cheaper than the local sunfish prices which are in the thousands for forty year old boats. The problem with most MFG sailboats is parts are nearly impossible to find unlike my fifty year old fish that I'm always upgrading. It'll be fun to play with. Checked with a local sailmaker about a sail and he said good luck, but he could put one together for $688. I'll pass on that offer. The previous owner said he use to sail with friends who all had sunfish and he would sail circles around them having to wait for them to keep up.

I like the concept of a "Gunter rig", and always wondered why Sunfish didn't adopt it for Sunfish use. As it is, a Sunfish mast would cost about $50 just in delivery. Sorry your MFG Copperhead is regarded as slow. Is it waterlogged?

Pictures of s/n 505:

I stumbled on a "Used Sail" site while trying to price my 20' Mariner jib (for sale).

Maybe make an inquiry there? Example:

Also eBay.com.

Thanks for the lead on sails. I'll check it out, I don't think it's waterlogged but haven't put a good weight check to it yet, picking it up today and will give it a good going over. As far as slow, the previous owner said it was considerably faster when sailed against his friends sunfish without trying to go faster, we'll see.

At our club the several sunfish that race, mine included, are all recreational rigged boats, older, no race sails or boards, rudders etc. We use the portsmouth rating of 102.8 as listed on pg 23 of the 2017 north american portsmouth yardstick handbook for recreational rigged boats. The race committee settled on that rating which I'm happy with seeing we have some past college racers with quick boats that I can sometimes beat after the times are calculated.

Finally got that copperhead out for a sail today, winds 5-10 so nice and easy. I was surprised at how quick this boat is, got right up and went down the river, more room in cockpit than my fish, leg room that is. After a couple hours on the water my 62 year old body felt pretty good. Wish I could find a new sail for it, the one I have appears to be original, 45 years old.

Finally got that copperhead out for a sail today, winds 5-10 so nice and easy. I was surprised at how quick this boat is, got right up and went down the river, more room in cockpit than my fish, leg room that is. After a couple hours on the water my 62 year old body felt pretty good. Wish I could find a new sail for it, the one I have appears to be original, 45 years old.

You may have seen this post- not mine- I saw it today and remembered you were looking. Seller mentions Copperhead, he might have the sail?

Back