new boat

sailintothewind

I'm so excited. I was driving back from the dam where I have my Com-Pac 16 docked, and there on the side of the road was a sunfish for sale. It was very dirty, but underneath the built-up layers of crud it was in pretty good shape. $200 bucks and it was mine. The boys and I cleaned it, inspected it more thoroughly, and waxed it until it was shining. It's a beauty.

One minor problem: the sheets are shot. I swear the one used to raise the sail is a clothesline.

So can anyone help me? What do I need to buy?

sailintothewind said:
One minor problem: the sheets are shot. I swear the one used to raise the sail is a clothesline.

This is from the Sunfish Tuning Guide (on this site):

The halyard should be pre-stretch or some other low-stretch line, about 24 feet in length and 1/4-inch in width. By employing a purchase system, you can keep the gaff spar snug against the mast for the entire day. You should have four halyard heights pre-marked with tape on the gaff: light air, medium air, heavy air, and Jens position. Tie the halyard using a clove-hitch just below the given piece of tape for the race?s wind condition. The light-air position, for example allows for maximum power in the sail. Even in light air, however, use a small amount of vang to maintain leech tension downwind. After "vangingdown," your gooseneck will end up in the same height (two to three inches above the deck), regardless of the wind velocity. Placing the halyard lower on the gaff allows you to vang down harder and still have the gooseneck three inches above the deck.

I have these Sunfish notes for lines,,,

Sunfish Lines -

Outhaul...................... 18” of 1/8” line
Daggerboard Retainer..... 9’ of 3/16” shock cord
Halyard...................... 25’ of ¼” line
Mainsheet.................. 24’ of 5/16” or ¼” line **
Mainsheet - Samson Trophy Braid - http://www.layline.com/prodinfo.asp?number=T516 has a brushed covering with a soft feel which is easy on the hands and makes for a better grip.

** (buy 30’ and cut it down to your preference after you’ve sailed with it a few times)

A quarter inch mainsheet will saw thru your hand in no time except in light winds. Get at least the 5/16, 3/8 better for daysailing. BB

Go to the APS web site, they have a list of lines for the SF. Halyard - 24' 3/16", Mainsheet - 28-33' 5/16". The original cotton three strand were 24' for both. I prefer the longer length. As Molly suggested, go long and cut down to suit your style. Wavedancer has it right, pre-mark your upper boom for light, medium, heavy and jens (for racing). Or follow the rigging instructions on the Team Vanguard web site for recreational sailing. The SF Bible has suggestions in the interviews. Good Luck

Back